Author Topic: Concerto Grosso opus 48, complete  (Read 153 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Concerto Grosso opus 48, complete
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:31 PM »
So, I've already posted the recording of the 3rd reading of the 1st movement (badly recorded, live, by me while sitting in the hall during rehearsals before the recording session), then a preliminary version of the slow middle movement, and now the complete concerto for string quartet and string orchestra.

So three movements (the titles are a bit different from the score, I'm in the process of finishing  some detail work, which includes settling on the final titles for each movement)

1 - Ouverture

2 - Arioso

3 - Gigue

The first movement is a simple binary, baroque-style Overture, two contrasting themes.
The Arioso is a ternary form, short contrasting middle section.
And the finale is a contrapuntal Gigue in 12/8, which has a loose rondo structure.
My goal was to create something festive which also hearkened back to the origins of the commissioning ensembles, which started with performances of Baroque music. I contrast that with the more "modern" elements (like the piling-on of 4ths and 5ths in the opening movement, or the modulations by 3rds in the last movement).

The harmony is a mixture of tonal, quartal, and tertiary harmony, with a dash of poly-harmony thrown in for spice. There are a few spots with some Debussy-an non-functional 9th chords, notably in the middle movement.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Concerto Grosso opus 48, complete
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:16 AM »
Michel,

Nice logo.

Beautiful, complex music. It feels like a cloud of gently turbulent textures, expanding, contracting.

Your musical language is becoming quite familiar to me. There are hints of Debussy, and even Mercury from Holst's The Planets. But it doesn't sound like something actually written by them.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
Thank-you jer :-)

I rather like that "cloud of gently turbulent textures" description.
It's actually a large part of what I seek, and use. In a sense, it's my tonal take on Ligeti's cluster world.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:18:24 AM »
Congratulations Michel! My favorite is the 1st mvt. I humbly think it is a jewel!

I'm fond of many of the French style ouvertures to Baroque orchestral suites. This is very modern and different in a thousand ways but I still like to think it bears some remote consanguinity.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »
Thank-you Reha.
I had originally planned on a brief "à la française" opening to the 1st movement, to really rub in that whole "french suite" aspect. Somehow, I just couldn't get it to work. So the stacked 4ths/5ths ended up having to do instead.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »
Well Michel.................

The Gigue is delightful.  It is so reminiscent of the colors of so many composers.

Just to name a few Vaughn Williams and  Korngold.

But this is you ........ and definitely has your signature style.

I love it's light hearted positive vibe and flows effortlessly~!

Mark

Once again I really enjoyed the use of a strategic placement of Pizz. in your works.

whitebark

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »
Congratulations on the completion of the Concerto Grosso!  I'm looking forward to hearing the orchestra play the entire work.

The Gigue provides a light and lively finish to the piece. I'm sure that the bass players will have fun playing the fast détaché runs, especially because they are independent from the cello part.  Time for the basses to show off a bit!

-Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »
Thanks Jay :)

If I had had a bit more leeway on the length, I would have liked to include a passage for the quartet with a contrabass solo. There simply wasn't time to make it sound integral enough. It ended up coming out a bit too episodic so I had to forgo that idea.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 03:44:47 PM »
The jib brings the work to a wonderful conclusion.  Congratulations!

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 06:50:01 PM »
Thank-you Patrick.
I have to say I have a particular fondness for that gigue.

RJB54

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
Very sprightly finale. A good conclusion to the piece. I don't have time to listen to the whole composition right now but I am looking forward to it.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 03:56:55 PM »
I got the recording of the 1st movement that will end up on the CD... it. sounds. AMAZING!!!!!

sandalwood

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 04:04:01 PM »
Excellent news! Will the CD be available on amazon, etc?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »
I don't know where the CD will be available yet. It MIGHT be only locally, I doubt they are making a huge pressing of it this year. I'm going to listen to it a few times more to see how I feel about it (who am I kidding, I'm going to listen to it because it sounds AWESOME!!!).

sandalwood

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
I hope some day we can listen to it, too :)