Author Topic: Brass Quintet  (Read 1850 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Brass Quintet
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »
Jer,

I focused on the section at measure 56.

The section is now expanded; hopefully with more a satisfying climax and flow.

Again for those not exhausted from my postings here's another update. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »
Mark,

Wow, you're a fast worker.

The whole thing seems more clear, the various lines more obvious. And the trumpet takes control with real authority.

I like the way it ends with a calming mood. I don't think it would hurt to slow it down more and get even quieter there.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »
Jer,

Thanks for the added review.

Yes, I feel it is coming along nicely. 

There are still changes I wish to make - especially to have a consistent fabric/texture throughout the work; however, the core is definitely there.

I  am a bit excited and always frustrated as I work to improve the piece.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:16:31 PM by mjf1947 »

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 07:20:08 AM »

I like this lively piece, Mark.  :)
And I do like the changes you have made to it. 
Harmonies are getting more and more interesting.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

RJB54

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:21 AM »
You're making good progress. This has a more substantial feel to it now.

One thing, you have the horn go quite low in places. I would recommend switching to the bass clef in those spots rather than having so many ledger lines.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
Hi all...............

This is my final version ...except for minor changes and engraving.

I want to thank you all for your splendid assistance in this project.

I learned quite a bit working this composition.

As always .... more suggestions most welcome.

I wish you all a pleasant and serendipitous Afternoon at the Park~!  :)

Mark

PS: The score is NOT in concert pitch ... which helps with the engraving issues with the Horn.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:33:20 PM by mjf1947 »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
I'd suggest transposing the whole thing up maybe a minor 3rd.
Some of the 2nd trumpet part is uncomfortably low. Not unplayable, but it could cause intonation problems or difficulty for less-experienced players attacking notes.
The horn part is also a tiny bit low, so it would benefit from an upward transposition.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 05:42:51 AM »
I'd suggest transposing the whole thing up maybe a minor 3rd.
Some of the 2nd trumpet part is uncomfortably low. Not unplayable, but it could cause intonation problems or difficulty for less-experienced players attacking notes.
The horn part is also a tiny bit low, so it would benefit from an upward transposition.

Michel .... Do you mean I should place the work in the key of Ab?  If yes ... then this puts some parts in a quite high range and will need to be reworked.  Or should I work to rewrite some parts in the present key of F?  Or maybe G?  I guess I'll see what works best.  Although, I do like the overall sound a step or so higher.

Mark

Michel I transposed to G Major .... and made appropriate score adjustments for instruments.  I must say it does sound better!  Please take a look ... anything else caught your attention.

I do have a question for you and our trumpet players ... will an octave A above the staff ... be a concern?  (PS: The high B in the score is an error ... placement is one octave down)>

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:59:24 AM by mjf1947 »

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 06:14:53 AM »
Nice work, Mark. Two items: First, the audio at the forte beginning on page 2 gets crackly--the audio needs to be normalized. Second, in the score, is there a reason why the horn part is on top? The horn part should go after the trumpet 2 staff and before the trombone staff.

Art

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 06:26:11 AM »
Nice work, Mark. Two items: First, the audio at the forte beginning on page 2 gets crackly--the audio needs to be normalized. Second, in the score, is there a reason why the horn part is on top? The horn part should go after the trumpet 2 staff and before the trombone staff.

Art

Art ... the problem with  the sound is the volume level even when I move it to my audio editing program and cut the volume in half there are still artifacts.  I most probably will have to reduce the overall dynamics in Finale.  As for the Horn part thanks for bringing it to my attention ... that's the way Finale set it up for me.  I know in a woodwind quintet the horn is at the bottom.  I wasn't aware of its placement in a Brass quintet.  But obviously it makes sense!

I lowered the reverb level within the  mixer and the sound improved.  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:53:17 AM by mjf1947 »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 07:18:34 AM »
Mark, I wrote a high Bb for the C trumpet in my trombone concerto, and the 1st trumpet player made a choice to play a higher D (which actually makes the harmony sound better). He played it perfectly, and we're not talking professionals here.

So A and Bb above the staff are absolutely not a problem.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 08:39:33 AM »
...we're not talking professionals here.

So A and Bb above the staff are absolutely not a problem.

This is true. It used to be that high C was considered stratospheric but in my experience any decent player is expected to be able to reach high C. Going above that however...
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
Art ... the problem with  the sound is the volume level even when I move it to my audio editing program and cut the volume in half there are still artifacts.  I most probably will have to reduce the overall dynamics in Finale.  As for the Horn part thanks for bringing it to my attention ... that's the way Finale set it up for me.  I know in a woodwind quintet the horn is at the bottom.  I wasn't aware of its placement in a Brass quintet.  But obviously it makes sense!

I normalize all my Finale files in Audacity. Ever tried that?

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
Art,

I use Goldwave .... it's really quite good. 

https://goldwave.com/

Mark

Art .... I used the audio mixer to improve the audio output.  Still don't have it where I want it ..although a bit improved . Any suggestions?
           The trumpets seem a bit "wild" during the fortes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:47:44 AM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
Mark,

It's come a long way in a short time from your first posting. It started out a bit muddy and is now very clean.

Michel's advice to transpose it made a big difference — not to mention your own improvements. It sings.

I still that right at the end a slowing down might make the end more moving.

Congratulations.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave