Author Topic: Sweet Viola- Solo Viola Piece  (Read 245 times)

Medievalwarfare

Sweet Viola- Solo Viola Piece
« on: March 24, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
This piece starts in d dorian and then transitions to d minor. I simply wanted to make a solo viola piece that shows off its beautiful sound. I'd like to hear what the community thinks.

score:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8zl1uxu7trsrao/Sweet%20Viola.pdf?dl=0

audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwhl6wlptgn8f54/Sweet%20Viola.mp3?dl=0

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Sweet Viola- Solo Viola Piece
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »
Hi the work begins with a nice melody; however the development does not make use of this initial thematic material.  It wanders as does the underlying harmonic movement. 

Try to concentrate of the first measures ...using that material for further construction/variation on your material.  You might also want to try out the chord progression(s) on a piano or keyboard.

Mark

amdg

Re: Sweet Viola- Solo Viola Piece
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »
An interesting start.  I think perhaps I hear a little more of the primary thematic material that Mark refers to.  I do agree, though, that for so short a piece as this is, a more concentrated use of the material would be in order.  It is a very brief exercise, so it needs to be -- in my opinion -- heavily reliant on the opening material to sustain it. 

I think also that writing for the viola as solo instrument should exploit more of its very broad range.  There is at least one person on this forum who is proficient on the viola and can tell you more about this.  The higher range of the instrument really only comes forward at the very end of your piece -- and seemingly  out of nowhere.  Those last couple of measures strike me as not being all that much a part of the rest of the piece.

Still, there is interesting music to play with and develop.  Good luck with it.
Brian