Author Topic: Brass Quintet  (Read 3097 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Brass Quintet
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »
Hello all....

This is a new project ... not yet complete.  :-\

It's titled ..."Afternoon at the Park".

(Yes .... I always envision a scene)  :o

This is the first draft ...about 2/3 done or so. 

Still a work in progress.

All comments appreciated.

Mark

PS: I am still working on the chord structure ... too many doubling of thirds!  :-X  :P
       Also need to clean up base line in B section.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:32:38 AM by mjf1947 »

amdg

Re: Brass Quintet
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:08:01 AM »
This is a very enjoyable piece, Mark.  It flows beautifully , in my opinion, and should be quite an accomplishment when you finish.  "Afternoon in the Park" seems to be an apt title for this.
Now, maybe this is just my system, but I was getting a lot of clipping and distortion during the forte and fortissimo sections. We'll see if others have the same situation.

All in all, an excellent start.
Brian 

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:15:00 AM »
Brian,

Thanks for the review - kind words and encouragement.

The clipping is due to the recording having too much volume.

I will adjust this in the next post.

At times I feel a bit intimidated in posting.  My level of technical sophistication is so inadequate as compared to the others on the forum.

So I am so pleased you enjoyed the music.  I always strive to entertain and create a setting for my music.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:50:10 AM »
Okay here's the final draft.

Improved bass line ... extended mid section with modulations ...........

Hope you enjoy the work....simple ABA  format.

All suggestions welcome as always. 

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:10:54 AM »
Nice work, Mark.  Harmonies are interesting and flow nicely. However, the weighty brass sound of the piece reminded me  more like a medieval procession of nobles than a walk in the park.

-Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »
Hi ...HaHaHaHeHe  ;D

It's an unexpected brass marching band going by .... not a brass choir in a Gazebo!!!!

It's an "Afternoon AT the Park"  Never know what might happen.  ;)

I remember being in Edinburgh Scotland and being quite surprised/pleased/tickled at grand parade coming down the street.

Thanks for the review ..................

I still plan to revisit the work.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:20:01 AM by mjf1947 »

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »
Very nice lively music, Mark. Like Jay, I think it has a solemn, ceremonial ring to it. What do you think expanding this into?

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 03:06:23 PM »
Thanks for taking look/listen.

In my mind I wanted the march to be "grand - pomp and ceremony" ...so solemn might fit the bill.

I'll think it through once more ... and see. 
Jay,

As for as the quintet.  I want to make the harmonies as clear and interesting as possible.  And make the thematic material inviting for the listener.

I still struggle with good chord formation and progressions.  So any suggestions in this area are most welcome.

For me - the quintet is also a learning tool.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »
Nice work. I particularly liked how the phrase lengths often do not coincide with the meter. This results in a nice rhythmic/metric interplay.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
Thanks .....at the moment I am going through all the chords and passing notes .... I am improving the harmonic cohesion and getting a better overall ensemble sound.

Yeah ... where I place those thirds, fifths, etc ...  and length of those notes sure makes a differences in the ensemble sound ... from just okay to a more polished work.

Next I'll go over the mid-section procession ... I think I can add a bit more sizzle to it.   We'll see.

Glad you enjoy the piece.  I aim to please.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 08:15:04 PM »
Hi Mark,
A small ensemble like this will inevitably need a contrapuntal flavor to keep the action going. You've have a good harmonic vocabulary going in the piece. To get to the next level, you need to add more advanced contrapuntal devices such as suspensions and accented passing tones to your brass quintet. Disrespect the bar lines ... notes should be crossing them.  Warning: I just had a gin and tonic, so this is a bit of a drunk post  :)

Cheers,
Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 06:21:36 AM »
Hi Mark,
A small ensemble like this will inevitably need a contrapuntal flavor to keep the action going. You've have a good harmonic vocabulary going in the piece. To get to the next level, you need to add more advanced contrapuntal devices such as suspensions and accented passing tones to your brass quintet. Disrespect the bar lines ... notes should be crossing them.  Warning: I just had a gin and tonic, so this is a bit of a drunk post  :)

Cheers,
Jay

Whether drunk or not .... I have thought in a similar vain.

The question is to do it .....

I will go over the work and see what I can accomplish. 

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 07:43:01 AM »
Okay for those not "exhausted from this thread"   ::) here are some improvements based upon suggestions posted.

If you notice any improvements for the better let me know.  Further technical suggestions most welcome.  :angel:

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »
Mark,

It has some very engaging things in it, particularly the melodies and the mixing of rhythms. And I like the structure.

I don't know if it's the limitation of the electronic instruments or the orchestration itself, but the overall sound seems a bit homogenized to me. I want to hear more highs and lows, and more emphasis on challenge and response between instruments.

At measure 56 you work up to a nice climax, but even though the payoff includes all the instruments it doesn't have the exaltation of a satisfying resolution.

I also wonder if the 4/4 section could be a bit faster.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »
Jer,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review the work and offer suggestions for improvement.

I definitely will revisit the work with your ideas in mind.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mark