Author Topic: Meditation_02  (Read 575 times)

RJB54

Meditation_02
« on: February 05, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
I would like to present my Meditation #2 (for Solo Clarinet)

Score: https://app.box.com/s/qkqfmw50xonm2sy564y7eoqh7exr1z9w
Audio: https://app.box.com/s/gxsaxpr26zo71t4rxp9l970wko7vffj7

I've been working (when time allows) on a fairly substantial piece and I've got that piece to a stage where I need to let it 'age' a bit before I return to it for completion and subsequent rewriting/polishing up (two of the movements are being recalcitrant). Therefore, to cleanse the palette (as it were), I've written this piece which is a less substantial work and, thus, more easily completed.

This piece is less about technical pyrotechnics (although there is some of that) and more about expression and projection of tone.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Meditation_02
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »
Well personally .... I would SHOUT OUT ..... I have composed a beautiful, charming, intriguing work for the clarinet.

You definitely accomplished your goal here.  ;D

Maybe you could compose a piece for Oboe.  :o

I would look forward with anticipation to play it.

Thoroughly enjoyable.  :angel:

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »
Mark, thank you very much.

Hmm, I didn't have any such plans, but I'll have to start letting the mind ruminate on an meditation for oboe. I loved playing the oboe even though it was the instrument I was least competent on for various reasons. I was much better on the clarinet, sax, and flute, and, surprisingly, I was better at the English horn than the oboe.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:16:58 AM »
Blown away! (But wondering why this is in "works in progress" instead of in "works 99% complete?)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:47 AM »
Ron, thanks.

I always post in the 'in progress' folder because I've found with many pieces I've posted that no matter how finished I think a piece is it's always possible that comments from others can result in changes (sometimes significant changes).
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
very beautiful piece!
I'm particularly fond of the rapid sections with repeated notes.
did you have a performer in mind? it deserves to at least be read by a competent clarinetist, if not outright performed in front of an appreciative audience.

We have an excellent clarinetist on our forum: Flint (screen name).
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 06:34:06 AM »
Michel, thanks.

No, I didn't have anyone in mind when I wrote this, except maybe myself (although my old fingers wouldn't allow me to play it these days). This is one of the types of pieces I would have enjoyed playing back in the day.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 08:07:17 AM »
Lovely, Robert. Accomplished, professional.

Much applause.

Is there a Meditation No. 1 as well?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »
I'm curious about those glissandi.
Are they intended to be played like the ""Gershwin glissando"?
Or more as very rapid chromatic runs?

Are there intervals that are easier than others for this type of gliss.?
What's the maximum range of a pure lip/pressure glissando?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:49 AM »
Well, most of them are too long to be done as a lip gliss. They would have to be done as a run.

The problem I have with glisses in any of my pieces is that Finale performs them terribly. What you hear in the audio file Finale generates almost always sounds nothing like what the gliss would sound like when done by an actual musician.
Frank Zappa

RJB54

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »
Lovely, Robert. Accomplished, professional.

Much applause.

Is there a Meditation No. 1 as well?

Cheers,
Jer

Yes there is. It is for solo English Horn and should be found in the 'Works In Progress' folder.
Frank Zappa