Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 559 times)

Edward

Hi All
« on: February 17, 2019, 03:11:08 PM »
I joined this forum a little while back - but unfortunately I haven't managed to take part - apart from reading some amazing posts by extremely intelligent and knowledgeable folk. (How am I going so far?)

At the time I joined the forum I was considering that composition would be the natural next stage of my life; after about 50 years at the coal-face as a gigging musician. Sadly, life in general, and my wife's dramatic decline in health made that next stage a bit further removed - and consequently, my involvement in this forum was not really part of the equation either. 

Things have somewhat settled, and I'm now charging on - though with the realisation that I should have started serious formal composition studies at least 20 years ago in order to be where I thought I would be now. Damn!!!

So, looking forward to being a bit more than a lurker, and positively taking part in the conversation that exists here. And thanks for all involved for permitting me to be part of this forum whilst very much in the background.

Regards, Edward

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »

Hi Edward,

Glad to make your acquaintance. So sorry to hear about your wife.

It is never too late to get into the composition game. I went back to university in my mid-50's to take courses in contemporary composition. I strongly suggest that you look up Alan Belkin's online courses on theory and composition. He has just begun a new series looking at different aspects of composition:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUQ0TcIbY_VEk_KC406pRpg

Feel free to join in.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:31:38 PM »
Edward,

Welcome back. I look forward to hearing your music.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:13:17 PM »
Welcome :)

Edward

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 12:56:12 AM »
Thank you all for the positive responses.
Thanks Ron for the heads-up regarding Alan Belkin - I'm aware of his great knowledge, skill and talent, I'm certainly on board for his Analysis for Composers series. Wonderful.

In fact - in his first video he uses the term 'plane of tone' - which is new to me - and foreign to me. Any idea what he means by that?

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 03:33:47 AM »
You can read how Belkin himself explains it here, down the page:

http://alanbelkinmusic.com/site/en/index.php/orchestration-notions-2/

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:10:04 AM »
Bienvenidos, Edward.

A pleasure to have another face and voice on board.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:14 AM »
Welcome!  I too am late to the formal study party. At age 56 I have yet to get beyond self study of various key texts. Once retired I will likely pursue formal composition studies. As an added bonus, tuition at the state university just down the street is zero upon reaching 62, although one can register for classes only if there are empty seats after the student who are paying.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)