Author Topic: Concerto Grosso for two violins, harpsichord and strings  (Read 787 times)

whitebark

Concerto Grosso for two violins, harpsichord and strings
« on: January 18, 2019, 07:42:11 PM »
I became intrigued by the Concerto Grosso style of music after seeing the work of Schnittke and our own Michel's efforts in that genre.

Schnittke used a harpsichord in his first C.G., which gives his work a Baroque flavor. Using his instrumentation, I decided to take a stab at writing a little something in the Concerto Grosso style. It will take a huge amount of effort to expand this fragment into a complete movement:

Version 6 Feb 14 update:

Recording:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f56plkrj57id46n/Concerto%20Grosso%20mvt1%20v6.mp3?dl=0
Score:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwoi7ijtl46c86u/Concerto%20Grosso%20mvt1%20v6.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy!
Jay

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:48:31 PM by whitebark »

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Concerto Grosso for two violins, harpsichord and strings
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
Following your order, I did enjoy.

It's great. Harmonically adventurous and aggressive. Keep going.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Jer!   Finishing this movement is going to be a long journey.

J

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »
Great start!   Lots of material to work with and a strong statement of its "sonic universe".

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:46:33 AM »
Thanks Patrick!  I'm going to expand the piece using the usual sonata form. Staying within the sonic universe will be a challenge - I have to develop a favorite set of chords or pitch class sets to aid in this. Creating good solo parts will be another problem.

-Jay

whitebark

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 11:07:50 AM »
The exposition of the piece is now roughed out. Here is the result so far (version 4 Feb 7 update)

(see first post in this thread for the updated recording and score)

Jay
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:49:23 PM by whitebark »

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
Quite an attention grabbing opening!

I like the sound of the harpsichord especially when it appears in a context other than traditional baroque sounding stuff like this piece.

I am looking forward to the continuation.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »
Thanks for having a listen!  The harpsichord has enjoyed a bit of a revival in modern music. A marvelous example of a 20th century work is Poulenc's Harpsichord concerto.

Since the polar vortex has arrived in Seattle, bringing the coldest, snowiest weather in  several years, I've had a lot of time to work in my Concerto Grosso. New material has been added today.

-Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »
I also have to say it's quite attention grabbing!
It has some familial relationships with Schostakovitch and Schnittke.

Do remember that the harpsichord doesn't carry very well.

There are a few notation issues, but I'll wait until you have a more finished version for that.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 04:52:04 PM »
I've completed a bit more of the piece - see first post in this thread for an updated recording. Completing a finished version is still a ways off.

-Jay

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »
Hi Jay,

I enjoyed your piece very much. I especially like the conversation between the two solo violins. I also thought the harpsichord in its solo moments were fabulous! I wish I could hear more of the harpsichord in other sections. ( to be fair maybe it was just the playback on my headphones). I am struggling with dynamics and the harpsichord. I guess traditionally speaking, it does not have a huge dynamic range, so I am unsure whether to even assign dynamics to it ( even though playing back samples certainly mean we can ).

Again, I enjoyed this very much I eagerly await your next revision.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:51:24 PM by smartysocks »
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.

Ludwig van Beethoven