Author Topic: Scoring for Drums  (Read 275 times)

Medievalwarfare

Scoring for Drums
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »

I was wondering if any had any advice on how to score for a drum set or knows a source I can research to get a better understanding of the subject. I often get caught in using too many drums or using different drums or cymbals at the wrong times in a piece. I want to better understand how they work for different styles of music and how to notate that.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Scoring for Drums
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:45:47 AM »
Books on orchestration often have a chapter on percussion. I would use Kennan &  Gratham's "The Technique of Orchestration" for the basics and Gould's "Behind Bars" for notation questions. Otherwise, if you could post a sample of what you are working on, then we could give specific advice.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »
Both those books are available on scribd.com.

With a free 30-day trial membership you can download The Technique of Orchestration and read Behind Bars on line.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:12 AM »
Both those books are available on scribd.com.

With a free 30-day trial membership you can download The Technique of Orchestration and read Behind Bars on line.

Cheers,
Jer

I didnít see The Techniques of Orchestration by Kennan on Scribd. Is there another book of similar quality on there that I can read or a different website?

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
Here's the list of books on orchestration I list on my web site (with year od original publication):

Orchestration by Cecile Forsyth. The MacMillan Company. 1914
  • Principles of Orchestration by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov. Dover publications. 1922. Online version with commentary by Alan Belkin can be found here:
  • The Technique of Orchestration by Kent Kennan and Donald Gratham. Prentice Hall. 1952
  • The Study of Orchestration by Samuel Adler. W. W. Norton & Co, Inc. 1982
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:33:25 PM by Michel.R.E »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:19:30 AM »
I didnít see The Techniques of Orchestration by Kennan on Scribd. Is there another book of similar quality on there that I can read or a different website?

Here's the link to it:
https://www.scribd.com/document/345053093/The-Technique-of-Orchestration-Wheeler-Kennan-pdf

Sometimes a search directly on Scribd doesn't yield a result. But if you do a Google search and add the word "Scribd" it often comes up.

Another way to get free documents on Scribd is to upload something, like a piece of your own music or other kind of document. You then get credit to download something.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:25:25 PM »
Thanks. Should I still read the books Ron suggested? I found them on Scribd also.

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:49:05 PM »
Thanks. Should I still read the books Ron suggested? I found them on Scribd also.

You should read every book on orchestration and music theory that you can get your hands on.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »

You should read every book on orchestration and music theory that you can get your hands on.

Alright, will do.