Author Topic: Five Short Preludes  (Read 363 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Five Short Preludes
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
I have been struggling with orchestral works for more than two years now, so I took a break to go back to what I consider to be pure writing: short piano works. No worries about blending voices or daunting orchestration questions: just the music itself.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Five Short Preludes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
Ron all quite interesting ... my favorite is #5 with a terrific inner force - and forward movement; and I do like 2 and 3 too. 

I had a bit of trouble relating to #1 and 4 though.  From a pianist view ... how difficulty is it to play #1?

As per the style ... very brooding indeed.

Mark

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:31:48 PM »
I really have no idea how difficult it is to play any piece I write. I watch pianists closely. Watching Michel and Alan Belkin play they make everything look easy. My rule of thumb for keyboards is: a pianist has two hands that can reach each end of the keyboard simultaneously, and five digits on each hand. I rarely ask for a wider spread than an octave, though I know that a tenth is not unreasonable.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
Well done, Ron.

I love your musical language.

I'm not a classical pianist, but your work is not out of range for any advanced pianist.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:38:23 PM »
I enjoyed listening to your 5 preludes, Ron...nice work!  All are interestingly different in character, harmonies are complex and appealing, and everything flows nicely.

-Jay

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »
I loved these pieces, Ron! Very expressive and full of character, in my opinion. Though they display much variety as Jay says, their common colors of dissonance tie them together as a meaningful whole, I think.

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 04:43:25 AM »
Thank you for all the kind comments. I'm sure you're all aware of how insecure one is when presenting new works. :)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:26:03 PM »
two quick notation comments first:
1) always have the barline go through both staves in keyboard music (ie, one single barline that starts at the top and goes to the bottom staff)
2) I'd recommend using "final barline" at the end of each prelude. these are individual pieces, and not sections of the same piece (which is what the double thin barline implies)

OK!
Musically, I love the changes in texture in the 1st prelude, particularly how it moves from the 2-voice to 3-voice writing.

The 2nd prelude is absolutely gorgeous! it has a certain echo of early Corigliano and some Persichetti piano writing, so a sort of modernist tonal approach which really works well.

No. 3 is SO beautifully Bach-ian. I particularly love your use of mirrors in the counterpoint. So far it's my favourite movenent.

Aha! no. 4 is the Ron I know a bit better.. more austere. It would actually work really well with a thick Brucknerian orchestration.

No. 5 is cool, though I foresee SOME difficulty finding satisfactory fingerings for the left hand. while not "impossible" to play, nor even "unidiomatic", it's still not easy, placing the difficulty level a bit higher up the scale than the preceding movements.

All in all, a great set of tiny jewels! I hope you find a pianist to play them (don't look at me... the arthritis has completely put a stop to my piano playing).
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
Thank you, Michel, as usual. I had a lot of trouble merging the files together and spend literally hours correcting all the errors that Finale kindly added. I thought there were final bar lines after each one, but I guess my eyesight is failing. I see you missed that there is no time signature in the first one--I noticed that right after I posted and was waiting for someone to say something.

I am so so sorry to read about your arthritis. Your playing was so masterly and beautiful.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
Ron,

This is a very good work. I especially liked the 2nd and 5th movements and I enjoyed the metric ambiguity of the 4th movement. Is it 5/4 or 5/2? It seems to drift in a quite interesting manner.

All in all I liked it.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »
That's a very interesting set of pieces.  I particularly liked #3 and #5.  Although as I re-listen (for the 3rd time) I feel strongly drawn to parts of #1.   I haven't figured out the overall flow of it but really like the individual sections.

Lee Merrill

• LeeNotes
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 06:14:23 PM »
I would like for #5 to have been longer, it seems it's just getting started when it ends...

Regards,
Lee
Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend.

- Ludwig van Beethoven