Author Topic: Happy Holidays!! An arrangement of "My Three Ships..."  (Read 333 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Happy Holidays!! An arrangement of "My Three Ships..."
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 03:03:14 PM »
much improved!
one other improvement I'd suggest: the bassoons, rather than have them play octaves, have them double the cellos in open 5ths.
remember that an octave isn't rich, it's a bit heavier.
5ths will add extra harmony, and also permit partials to sound. creates a richer sound.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
Jay,

I think the work would work great with my pop orchestra.

Just one thing ..... trombones?  (Although many conductors would do without them!) Tuba?  :angel:

Seriously, I would be happy to show my Music Director the score.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
5ths will add extra harmony, and also permit partials to sound. creates a richer sound.

Interesting...I'll have to experiment with bassoons playing a 5th above the cellos.

Just one thing ..... trombones?  (Although many conductors would do without them!) Tuba?  :angel:

Seriously, I would be happy to show my Music Director the score.

Mark

I've been staying away from composing for a massive orchestra so far.  I'm still trying to get comfortable with classical size orchestras. So no tubas, trombones, crumhorns, contrabass clarinets, etc. Although I love the sound of a trio of trombones providing a smooth harmonic background - or blasting away fortissimo.

It seems the wrong season for it, but you're welcome to show my score to your music director.

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 01:45:26 AM »
no no.. not them playing a 5th higher, them doubling those open 5ths that are already present in the cellos.

if cellos are playing C and G, then bassoons play C and G.
simply avoid using them constantly in octaves.
bassoons can fill harmony nicely by either playing the root and fifth of a harmony, or the root and third (a 10th higher) with someone else playing the missing fifth (in your example the celli are already divided and playing the root and fifth.)
For example, in a context where you have a bass clarinet, a nice spacing of a chord is from bottom up: root by bassoon 2, fifth by bass clarinet, and a 6th up, the third played by bassoon 1.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"