Author Topic: Rain  (Read 131 times)

Medievalwarfare

Rain
« on: November 24, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »
This is my first time doing orchestration. I watched several videos on YouTube and talked to friends who play some of these instruments to better understand how to create the sound I want. That sound I want is...rain.

This piece intends to recreate every aspect of a storm from thunder and lightning to the rain itself. The beginning is complete with piccolo creating wind sounds while percussion simulates thunder, but the song currently ends early into the A section. I haven't worked on this piece in a week or two, but I do intend to finish it.

I will take all the advice I can get on this piece.

Score:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3a6819n6q7uy8s/Rain.pdf?dl=0

Recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kou0adgmp37aa3s/Rain%20Recording.mp3?dl=0

RJB54

Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:32:54 AM »
There is some interesting potential here, I'll be interested in hearing what you do with it further.

I suggest that you double the notation and halve the measures. This does not feel like a piece which is Largo quarter = 50 what with all of the 32nd and 64th notes and all. This should be Allegro quarter = 100 (at least).

Also your flute and piccolo parts are too low. In actual performance the performers will be (to borrow an expression for Micheal) miming a performance which will be inaudible.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
There is some interesting potential here, I'll be interested in hearing what you do with it further.

I suggest that you double the notation and halve the measures. This does not feel like a piece which is Largo quarter = 50 what with all of the 32nd and 64th notes and all. This should be Allegro quarter = 100 (at least).

Also your flute and piccolo parts are too low. In actual performance the performers will be (to borrow an expression for Micheal) miming a performance which will be inaudible.

I understand the suggestion you made about the tempo and the notation, but I am writing this piece in musescore. To change the note values of the entire piece would take me a long time. Can you suggest a better software or some other way to fix this problem?

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »
Most of the people on this site use Finale, and most of those that don't use Finale seem to use Sibelius.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:08:55 PM »
Welcome to Compose Forums, MW!   To get a richer sound, you should divide your woodwinds into first and second parts, like Flute 1 and Flute 2.  Then have them play different notes, as much as possible. You can use your woodwind pairs to fill out chords, play a melodic line in parallel intervals (often a  third), or you can have them play different melodies in counterpoint.

Jay

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
Welcome to Compose Forums, MW!   To get a richer sound, you should divide your woodwinds into first and second parts, like Flute 1 and Flute 2.  Then have them play different notes, as much as possible. You can use your woodwind pairs to fill out chords, play a melodic line in parallel intervals (often a  third), or you can have them play different melodies in counterpoint.

Jay

Thank you for the suggestion.