Author Topic: Six Ballads  (Read 283 times)

Jerry Engelbach and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

whitebark

Re: Six Ballads
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »
And here is my Noteperformer version of November:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n95xlj0o0pk71lm/JerryEngHorn.mp3?dl=0

The musicxml imported nicely into Sibelius. I added a few crescendo and decrescendo marks (hairpins) to smooth volume transitions in the string parts

Now that the new Noteperformer 3.1 is available for Finale, you may have an easier time getting NP to work.

Jay

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »
Thanks for taking my listening notes seriously, Jer :) . I see you've devised a different revision and it seems to work very well.

Really nice piece, by the way.
Thanks again, Reha.
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
And here is my Noteperformer version of November:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n95xlj0o0pk71lm/JerryEngHorn.mp3?dl=0

The musicxml imported nicely into Sibelius. I added a few crescendo and decrescendo marks (hairpins) to smooth volume transitions in the string parts

Now that the new Noteperformer 3.1 is available for Finale, you may have an easier time getting NP to work.

Jay
Jay,

That was fast. I appreciate your doing this.

Hmm. NP is exaggerating the dynamic changes quite a bit. Or does GPO downplay them?

The overall sound seems muddy to me compared with GPO. Could it be a fault of the conversion from GPO to NP?

I know that you get a beautiful sound in your pieces from NP. I should download 3.1 and try to use it from scratch in a new file.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

sandalwood

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 08:55:25 PM »
Trying to follow relevant discussions and reading/listening to promotion materials, I'm also starting to think the NP is becoming a "must buy". Thanks to Jay for drawing our attention to it.

Regarding the November with the NP, apparently revising the dynamics, articulations, mixing, etc  would be necessary when switching over to the NP because the GPO recording definitely sounds more satisfying to me, too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:07:00 PM by sandalwood »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 06:24:38 AM »
Trying to follow relevant discussions and reading/listening to promotion materials, I'm also starting to think the NP is becoming a "must buy". Thanks to Jay for drawing our attention to it.

Regarding the November with the NP, apparently revising the dynamics, articulations, mixing, etc  would be necessary when switching over to the NP because the GPO recording definitely sounds more satisfying to me, too.
Reha,

Thanks for confiming that I'm not crazy ...

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 04:12:58 PM »

Hmm. NP is exaggerating the dynamic changes quite a bit. Or does GPO downplay them?

NP does have a larger dynamic range that other sound libraries that I've heard.  It also has precise (read: sometimes exaggerated) articulations.  These seem to be less apparent in larger ensembles but can produce somewhat unrealistic sound for solo instruments.  Arnie seems to change these each release - making tweaks here and there at the very least.   In general, the sounds improve with most releases.

One thing about the dynamics and articulations: even when the sound is not very realistic, it is very good for proof-reading the score.  You can really hear when you've messed up an articulation.  However, when you hear a blunder and hit stop playback continues for a second or two.  That sometimes makes if difficult (for me) to find what I heard that was out of place.   

I'm using NP more and more, but it's still not the best library for everything.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Patrick. You make a good point.

I'll have to experiment more.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 11:45:48 AM »
Lovely ballads, Jer. These ballads remind me of the tunes I used to compose in high school for my friends. Did you write these ballads for specific people? I didn't see your mentioning the origin of these pieces in the thread except that you wrote them some time ago.

Art