Author Topic: November 2018: What are your music listening habits?  (Read 291 times)

sandalwood

November 2018: What are your music listening habits?
« on: November 02, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »

Please tell us about your music listening habits. What do you listen to and where and when? What are your criteria in choosing concerts to attend? What gear do you use for listening to recorded music? Do you have favorite pieces you often revisit? Do these include your own (already completed) works? Any sort/genre you try to avoid? Do you make targeted listening as preparation to writing a new piece?

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: November 2018: What are your music listening habits?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
Oh! I wrote a lengthy reply to this post earlier today, but it's gone! I'll try again....

I rarely listen to music just for the sake of listening to music. The main time I listen for any length of time is when I am researching references for my wife who edits medical research papers. Yesterday my playlist was: Szymanowski Violin Concerto No.1; Penderecki Violin Concerto No.2 'Metamorphosen'; and Carl Nielsen: Symphony No.5, Op. 50.

Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »
Reha,

Now that is a comprehensive list of questions.

At the risk of being long-winded ...

What do you listen to and where and when?
I listen to anything that strikes me at the moment. But even though I’m a jazz musician, I almost always listen to classical music. I have a studio where I do music and paint.

What are your criteria in choosing concerts to attend?
Convenience more than anything else. The nearest classical venues are in the state capital of Morelia, about 35 miles away, and I don’t like driving at night. However, each year the Festival de Piano de Pátzcuaro brings in three or four world class classical pianists, so in addition to playing a jazz concert at the festival, I attend the classical events.

What gear do you use for listening to recorded music?
Old gear. Technics turntable for vinyl (my 1972 vintage AR turntable finally wore out), a computer for CDs, NAD receiver, and vintage Polk model 10 speakers.

Do you have favorite pieces you often revisit?
Pretty much boilerplate stuff. Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, Mozart Requiem and Jupiter Symphony, Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, Beethoven Sixth Symphony, Debussy La Mer, Ravel Daphnis and Chloe. I do have about 400 LPs (whittled down from 1,000 when I moved to Mexico) with a wider range of composers. And YouTube ...

Do these include your own (already completed) works?
Nah.

Any sort/genre you try to avoid?
I don’t care for most current pop music or fusion.

Do you make targeted listening as preparation to writing a new piece?
Sometimes. I’ve learned a lot from listening to small piano pieces by Schumann, MacDowell, Prokofiev, Bartok, and orchestration by Rimsky, Mahler, Ravel, others.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »

Please tell us about your music listening habits. What do you listen to and where and when? What are your criteria in choosing concerts to attend? What gear do you use for listening to recorded music? Do you have favorite pieces you often revisit? Do these include your own (already completed) works? Any sort/genre you try to avoid? Do you make targeted listening as preparation to writing a new piece?

I generally listen to YouTube videos and MP3s at work.

I generally don't go to concerts due to the expense.

As I said I listen to videos and MP3s on my computer.

I can listen to anything by Beethoven over and over. Almost anything by Berg. The Bartok and Schoenberg string quartets. I also often listen to pieces that have been posted here. I do listen to my pieces with some regularity for several reasons. First, I follow the dictum of 'write music you like' so I like my own stuff. Second, after not listening to a piece for a while when I listen again I hear/read things that I now think I should have done differently so its often a good learning experience.

I try not to listen to pieces which are similar to what I plan on writing. As Berstein said about his own composing after conducting, it takes a while to get Beethoven's or Mahler's or whoever's notes out of his ears before he can start writing his own notes.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:27:53 AM by RJB54 »
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »
Hi Reha,
Interesting question!  We have a good classical music station in Seattle, so for casual listening I use that. Thankfully they play more exotic music along with the usual standards. For more serious listening, I go to YouTube which has a vast and interesting range of music choices.  The Seattle Symphony is good, but I rarely attend concerts due to expense.  I really enjoyed the last concert I attended, perhaps I should go more often. Some community orchestras here play music composed by Compose Forum members, so I try to attend those.  And sometimes, I do listen to my own music!  Noteperformer renditions are good enough to make listening reasonably pleasurable. I find my light and bouncy Classical Symphony has a bit of a needed anti-depressant effect.

Jay

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
I don't listen to much music; I've found that if I listen to music while I'm in the process of composing anything I end up picking up bits and pieces of what I've listened to.

When I'm in between pieces, I'll listen (not Listen—active listening—but listen—passive listening, to a variety of things - mostly from Debussy forward (for classical music), or pop/folkish shtuff from the 1950's forward, or lighter jazz/big band and some light rock. Usually the non-classical music is just shtuff to sing along to in the car, though.

I've gotten out of the habit of listening to music at work and now listen to podcasts instead... it's easier to tune out voices while working than getting my attention pulled constantly to musical sounds.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
We have a good classical music station in Seattle, so for casual listening I use that.

Is that KING-FM? If it is, I listen to that station on my phone quite often.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 07:56:29 PM »
Yes, King FM is the station I listen to.  Classical music radio stations are getting rarer, and many of the ones that still exist play boring programs designed to be sonic wallpaper. King is pretty good in comparison.

-Jay

sandalwood

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »
Almost always, I listen to classical music. It is from any period, but little by little it is concentrating on very late 19th century onwards. Mostly, the listening is part of a focus on a composer, an idiom, or an instrument, etc (with lots of straying and distraction) and generally moves in parallel to some reading on the target. Any piece I'm working on gives rise to a series of listenings. Oddly, this has a sort of precedent from long ago, during my working years, when I had to drive for hours everyday. I used to have, for instance, the Brandenburgs in a loop for a month or two, then went over to the Orchestral Suites or Jobim, etc.

Yes, I do listen to old pieces of mine. Mostly after I listen to something else that bears resemblance in idiom, ensemble, etc. I try to see where/how I have  failed to deliver as well (as the competitor :))?  Though not as frequently, I do find things, here and there, that I particularly like in my pieces, too. :)

As a very general rule, music with a drum-set is suspect, at least. Many exceptions, though.

It is now exclusively the tube vids and headphones. My old CDs and old Sony STR-DE685 sit untouched in a remote corner. Local symphony is a 10 minute subway ride and is reasonably priced. I guess partly because it is so easily available (remaining part is related to my growing koala-style reluctance to going to places) I have excelled in finding reasons to skip most concerts.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 03:56:13 PM by sandalwood »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
As a very general rule, music with a drum-set is suspect, at least.
Reha,

That statement provokes my curiosity for more elaboration!

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

LA Dierker

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 09:46:44 AM »
These are great questions and I am enjoying reading all your responses. Appreciate the humor such as "question any music with a drum set!"  Need more time to consider this topic.
I will say that I have subscribed to Spotify for about a year now and find it very convenient.
       LA

sandalwood

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
As a very general rule, music with a drum-set is suspect, at least.
Reha,

That statement provokes my curiosity for more elaboration!

Cheers,
Jer

Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment: :)

Let's say you made a decision to avoid any music involving a drum-set and that is recorded in the last 30 (?) years. Just imagine the colossal mass you're  keeping out of the gates! Yes, there would be quite a few babies in the bath water but imagine the nonetheless extremely high efficiency this elegantly simple rule provides.

On a somewhat unrelated side note: also consider that many of the missed ones would sound even better in arrangements without drum kits.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment: :)

Let's say you made a decision to avoid any music involving a drum-set and that is recorded in the last 30 (?) years. Just imagine the colossal mass you're  keeping out of the gates! Yes, there would be quite a few babies in the bath water but imagine the nonetheless extremely high efficiency this elegantly simple rule provides.

On a somewhat unrelated side note: also consider that many of the missed ones would sound even better in arrangements without drum kits.
Reha,

That's a good answer. It reminds me of Mark Twain's quip about eliminating all examples of a certain part of speech: "When you catch an adjective, kill it."

As Devil´s advocate, you convinced me. Save me a room in Hades.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

sandalwood

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »
Jer, I'm glad you liked my reply and that my reply evoked the Twain quote that you quoted. I hope my reply has not reminded others of another Twain quote: "Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". :)

Joking aside, please consider what I originally said as describing a quirky personal reflex, sort of a pre-filter that is easily put on hold/overruled depending on the particular situation and context.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
Jer, I'm glad you liked my reply and that my reply evoked the Twain quote that you quoted. I hope my reply has not reminded others of another Twain quote: "Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". :)

Joking aside, please consider what I originally said as describing a quirky personal reflex, sort of a pre-filter that is easily put on hold/overruled depending on the particular situation and context.
Reha,

Joking aside indeed. Every time I listen to drums now I'll feel guilty.

(One more post and I'll qualify for your Twain quote.)

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan