Author Topic: Nocturne for piano and flute  (Read 1664 times)

francoisfj

Re: Nocturne for piano and flute
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »
Francois,

I do have a question for you.  I know that Flute players (unlike Oboists) need to take in air frequently.  Have you spoken to a flutist about the breathing points in your piece?  The melodic lines goes on without too much; if any breaks.

Mark

You're right, I haven't given it enough attention. I just assumed the player could take his breath between the phrases quickly, I would have to inquire more about this, thanks for pointing it out.

François

francoisfj

Re: Nocturne for piano and flute
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »
You use lovely harmonies in the Nocturne, very impressionistic. 

The piece perhaps could use some variety of texture other than the melody + piano accompaniment that you are using throughout. Have the flute player play alone for awhile, as well as the pianist.  How about using a more contrapuntal texture with the flute voicing a melody, then the piano replying?  That would also give the flute player a rest from playing.   

In order to prevent the piece from losing its way, know what your motives (melodic and rhythmic fragments) are, and keep using and developing them. Plan your climax points and work toward them, and away from them.
tell
Jay

Thank you for your feedback. I see what you mean, and looking back at the piece now, I feel that too. When I write something I usually have trouble rewriting it differently, I don't know if I will change what I already wrote or just try some different textures later in the piece. The contrapuntal texture appeals to me, I'm almost definitely going to try that, thanks for suggesting it :)