Author Topic: Concerto Grosso for string quartet and string orchestra (1st mvt)  (Read 1157 times)

whitebark

Re: Concerto Grosso for string quartet and string orchestra (1st mvt)
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
How did  the  recording  session  go?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
How did  the  recording  session  go?

It was amazing.
Considering they were recording a 4 minute movement, they spent around an hour and a half on it, reworking tiny details, phrasing, intonation, articulation.
The final recording will be incredible.

And, for me, the good news was that all the musicians really seemed to like it, and enjoyed playing it.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »
and for those interested, this is a picture of the orchestra during the recording session.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »
What a beautiful setting ............. does justice to the beautiful music~!

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 07:39:39 PM »
thanks Mark.
I found the church a bit too live for a, well, "live" concert. But for the recording it was fantastic (listening through monitors gave a completely different effect).

one very impressive thing about the orchestra, is that three of the 1st chairs (1st and 2nd violins, and cello) play on Stradivarius instruments, and the 1st chair viola plays a Guadagnini. These also happen to be the members of the string quartet who have played my music before.
And let me tell you, when Élaine plays a solo on that Strad, you can HEAR that this is a million dollar instrument.

This is one of the pieces that will be on the CD. I think it's one of the most beautiful pieces ever written for strings:

Grieg, Holberg Suite, "Air"

An they played it truly masterfully. I'm dying for the recording to come out (obviously, this Youtube video isn't them)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:47:07 PM by Michel.R.E »

LA Dierker

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »
This is all so very exciting Michel!  Really appreciate the addition of the photograph. You, your music, and this most recent accomplishment-a professional recording, is inspiring.   Thanks for sharing it all.  LA

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 09:11:56 AM »
one very impressive thing about the orchestra, is that three of the 1st chairs (1st and 2nd violins, and cello) play on Stradivarius instruments, and the 1st chair viola plays a Guadagnini. These also happen to be the members of the string quartet who have played my music before.
And let me tell you, when Élaine plays a solo on that Strad, you can HEAR that this is a million dollar instrument.

Aren't you the lucky one!   ;D

Can't wait for the final recording.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 07:24:58 AM »
Michael,

I just had a chance to listen to the recording. Excellent! As the others said if this is what it sounds like with a 10 minute rehearsal the recording must be magnificent.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 07:35:14 AM »
Thank-you Robert.

As I think I mentioned, the CD contains a lot of music that should automatically be part of anyone's CD collection (Grieg, Holst, Tchaikowski, etc...) and just from what I heard during the actual recording sessions, the sound and interpretation are magnificent.

The conductor was a marvel to watch: no extraneous movements, no histrionics, the music was really getting communicated between conductor and orchestra.

Anyways, more than anyone I am very excited about hearing the CD once it is finished.