Author Topic: Brassbandpiece  (Read 1098 times)

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
Brassbandpiece
« on: October 08, 2018, 02:16:10 PM »
This is my attempt to write a Brassband piece. Itís a work in progress so itís not finished, and I change things all the time. No title yet. The plan was to make a rather short piece. 3-4 minutes.

I somewhat cleaned up the score, but I will do the last bit when the piece is finished. There are staves with little or no music yet.

I wanted the rendition to have Brassband sound. And there were instruments I didnít have. Cornets, Flugelhorn, Tenorhorns, Euphoniums etc. So, I invested in some sound libraries.

I havenít had the time to do much to the rendition so itís almost straight out of the box.

I did the following:

Notated it with Finale, saved it as MIDI-file and, loaded the MIDI-file into Cubase.

Vst-instruments used:

Vienna Symphonic Library:
Cornets, Flugelhorn, Euphoniums

Indiginous:
Tenorhorns, Baritones

EastWest:
Trombones, Tubas

Native Instruments:
Percussion

Score:
https://app.box.com/s/vk5r8urhrq29kmsfjasmwkf9c562w6df

Wave:
https://app.box.com/s/thiuc18tjckqejarmjfmcmp7ccsp3q0l

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
Re: Brassbandpiece
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »

I forgot to mention that what you hear is an opening, and after a little break a possible ending.

Morten

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »
Morten, I think this is very cinematic. It has a majestic ring to it, like it belongs to a ceremonial scene where the king arrives with his entourage. Perhaps connected to this, it reminds me of the "attitude" in some Lully/Rameau works though not sounding as ancient or thick/opulent in its idiom.

With such associations, I expected to hear the brass have somewhat higher dynamics and sharper attacks (assuming they're separately adjustable) in some passages.Very possibly, however, my reading of the music is wrong and the true context calls for the more restrained manner in which they currently play.  In any case, I like this and  I'd like to see how you develop this promising start.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:32:14 AM by sandalwood »

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
Morten: Nice work with lots of possibilities. I agree with Sandalwood. Have you considered widening the trumpet range a bit--the Eb cornet part seems a bit low--or is that intentional. Actually, that might make a nice contrast (keeping it low for now) with what's to come. I'd probably add more percussion, too. Or percussion could make a grand entrance later (like the cornet range)?

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »
I think that this is a good opening to a larger work. I look forward to hearing what the rest will sound like.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »

Thank you for the inspiring comments.  :)

To perhaps answer your questions.

I havenít had time to do much with the rendition, but the dynamics are going to be more prominent, and yes, they are separately adjustable.
I have loaded one mid-track per chair. That means: 2 Euphoniums = 2 midi-tracks, 1 Solo Tenorhorn = 1 midi-track. That way I can adjust each track as I please.

To have a Brass band sound Iíve had to use different sound-libraries with different ďplay enginesĒ. So, I had to learn how to use them.

About the soprano cornet: I started out trying to compose a not too difficult piece of music and hesitated to make the Soprano go too high. Now I have some changes I would like to try and that will raise the grade level. Then I can utilize the range of the Soprano Cornet.

Again, thank you and thank you for your suggestions.  :)

Morten

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 10:58:40 AM »
Hi,

I like it!  I suggest more movement in the bass line to create some forward momentum and/or counter melodic line with an expanded percussion section.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 12:39:40 AM »
It's an interesting fanfare with much promise.

It feels a little heavy in the instrumention. Perhaps take more advantage of separate groupings?

Are you familiar with Walton's Crown Imperial? It's a good model.

Your solo cornet mysteriously metamorphs into three and then two cornets ...

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
iMac Mojave