Author Topic: Staff order for nonstandard ensembles  (Read 960 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Staff order for nonstandard ensembles
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
There are well established standards for staff order for "normal" ensembles but I'm writing a piece a somewhat unusual ensemble: vibraphone, bassoon, and unpitched percussion.   I'm not sure that anybody is going to look at the "full score" but I would like to have it in reasonable shape, just in case.

The default order in my notation software - based on the orchestral order - is bassoon, unpitched percussion, vibraphone.  At the very least, I think the vibraphone and bassoon should be reversed so that the higher range instrument is on top.  Should the percussion be on the bottom?  (That's where I want to put it.)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Staff order for nonstandard ensembles
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »
normally, stick to the usual order of instruments, so bassoon at the top, the percussion below, tuned percussion highest, untuned percussion below, set each group of percussion by highest to lowest sounding.

in other words:

bassoon
vibraphone
unpitched percussion (from highest to lowest: triangle, woodblocks, that sort of thing at the top, bongos, drums, bass drums at the bottom)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:47:28 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"