Author Topic: Orchestration Online Challenge  (Read 82 times)

Jerry Engelbach

Orchestration Online Challenge
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
I took up Thomas Goss's Orchestration Online Challenge to score Bartok's piano piece With Drums and Pipes from his Out of Doors suite.

Thomas is incredibly detailed in his online orchestral analyses. And for subscribers to his web site, from time to time he offers these free evaluations of responses to his challenges. A remarkable, generous man.

My orchestration starts at about 47:50 into the YouTube video. He inadvertently pasted the wrong name on the title card, but he addresses me correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F05Tm_iuAm0&t=2984s

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

sandalwood

Re: Orchestration Online Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:07:25 AM »
Congratulations Jer! Very nice to hear fellow members receiving such wonderful recognition. I remember a solo viola piece by Ron had also appeared in an Orchestration Online vid some time back.

Along with the words of praise, I noticed T Goss said he found your style of orchestration cinematic/theatrical.  Did he already know about your previous experience or is it sheer insight?

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 10:20:15 AM »
I don't know how Thomas Goss finds the time to do such a detailed analysis of all those  entries to his orchestration challenge.  Watching his video analysis of the various entries is a great way to learn about orchestration.  Congratulations, Jer, on completing the exercise and getting such a detailed analysis of your score!

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:36:31 AM »
Congratulations Jer! Very nice to hear fellow members receiving such wonderful recognition. I remember a solo viola piece by Ron had also appeared in an Orchestration Online vid some time back.

Along with the words of praise, I noticed T Goss said he found your style of orchestration cinematic/theatrical.  Did he already know about your previous experience or is it sheer insight?
Thanks much, Reha.

Do I remember correctly? Was Ron one of those whose piece received a performance from Goss by a live violist?

"Previous experience": Goss is just incredibly perceptive ...

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
Congratulations Jerry. Yes, Thomas had performed and analyzed a couple of pieces by me. If I recall correctly, there was a solo violin work, a solo viola work, and a string trio. He liked my cello solo but said it would have taken a couple of weeks of effort to master.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »
I don't know how Thomas Goss finds the time to do such a detailed analysis of all those  entries to his orchestration challenge.  Watching his video analysis of the various entries is a great way to learn about orchestration.  Congratulations, Jer, on completing the exercise and getting such a detailed analysis of your score!
Thanks much, Jay. With all due respect, members here are supportive, but not critical to the degree of detail that Goss offers. Aside from his analyses, he does tend to talk a lot, but he's worth listening to. Meat and vegetables. Cheers,Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »
Congratulations Jerry. Yes, Thomas had performed and analyzed a couple of pieces by me. If I recall correctly, there was a solo violin work, a solo viola work, and a string trio. He liked my cello solo but said it would have taken a couple of weeks of effort to master.
Thanks much, Ron.

Yes, I do remember hearing the viola piece.

Did you ever get a performance of the cello work?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
No. I've attached a copy of the score and a mock-up using a GPO cello. According to Thomas it is playable and appropriate for cello--just very difficult to play.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
No. I've attached a copy of the score and a mock-up using a GPO cello. According to Thomas it is playable and appropriate for cello--just very difficult to play.
Thanks, Ron.

It's a good piece. Very engaging. It sounds idiomatically cello-ish.

I imagine that it would be fun to play, the difficulties notwithstanding.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 11:47:20 PM »
Tom's comments regarding the "solo" trombone drowning out your violas come from your notation error. When only one of two instruments on a staff plays (like you do with flute a few measures further) you indicate with a numeral, not with "solo".

The only instruments you would use the word "solo" with are strings.

You want your first tenor trombone to play that line, then mark 1. or 1st or 1er. You can also mark "1 solo".

The usual notation for woodwinds and brass is simply a number. With strings it's usually "1 solo".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 07:26:37 AM »
Tom's comments regarding the "solo" trombone drowning out your violas come from your notation error. When only one of two instruments on a staff plays (like you do with flute a few measures further) you indicate with a numeral, not with "solo".

The only instruments you would use the word "solo" with are strings.

You want your first tenor trombone to play that line, then mark 1. or 1st or 1er. You can also mark "1 solo".

The usual notation for woodwinds and brass is simply a number. With strings it's usually "1 solo".
Thanks, Michel.

Learning poco a poco.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan