Author Topic: September 2018: New Leadership  (Read 479 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
September 2018: New Leadership
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »
The forum software has been successfully transferred to Jamie Pettit's care. He, along with Mark Flanzraich, have taken over responsibility for managing the forum. I wish them well. Please be as kind and supportive of them as you have been with me and Michel these past several years. A special thanks to Michel who has always stood ready to help out.

I'll be around, but it is time to pass the torch.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

Re: September 2018: New Leadership
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
Ron,

I'd like to thank you for all of the time and effort you have put into keeping the forum going all these years. It has been much appreciated.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:51 AM »
Thank you, Ron, for the time and effort you've spent on this forum! Much appreciated!

Thank you, Jamie and Mark, for taking on the forum administration!

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
Thank you, Jamie and Mark, for taking on the forum administration!

You're welcome Art. I certainly won't be able to match Ron's contribution, but I'm happy to have an opportunity to do my part to keep the place running, having benefitted so much from its being here.
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
My Forum bookmark had been leading me to a blank page all these days and I could finally think of trying a detour!

Yes, a big thanks to Ron, and another to Jamie&Mark from me, too.

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »
Ron,

Thanks for taking care of the forums for all this time. We all appreciate the work you've done.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
I've got nothing to say that hasn't already been said, but I'll say it anyway.  Many thanks to Ron for the years you've put in on this forum.  And thanks and "Good luck" to Jamie and Mark.

LA Dierker

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 08:29:47 AM »
New to the forum, I have been reading about the changes in leadership, and add my congratulations to all.  Is there any site which gives a history of the forum for those of us who have recently joined?  thanks, LA

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
New to the forum, I have been reading about the changes in leadership, and add my congratulations to all.  Is there any site which gives a history of the forum for those of us who have recently joined?  thanks, LA

The trouble with this is, we have to rely on my memory which is not very good. The original composers forum was started by a group of Finale users who had discussed the need on MakeMusic's user forum. Mike Kelley took it on and set up the original. I believe this was in 2002. The original members were about evenly split between those who thought that music had gone off the rails in the 19th century and wanted to write exclusively in older styles using nothing but common practice rules and those more interested in more contemporary techniques. A major rupture occurred with many of the "common practice only" group leaving. About the same time (I think this was 2005), Mike handed the forum over to me. He eventually left the forum to concentrate on producing cartoons. I completely revamped the forum in 2011, producing the layout you see today.

The only members left from the original forum are myself, Michel Edward, and Nickie Fønshauge who occasionally pops in to check out the latest postings. There may be a few others. If so, I hope they will remind me. Michel has been a great help over the years at keeping things going. Mark Flanzraich (mjf1947) and Jamie Pettit (perpetuo studens) have been members since 2011 and 2013 respectively and have been active and positive contributors to the forum since then. I am confident that they will keep things going and make some improvements over time so that this will continue to be a place where mature individuals can share their music, expertise, and insights with each other.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

LA Dierker

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »
Thanks Ron, for the info on the history of the forum. I find it interesting the group which chose to leave, and glad you have kept the forum alive and
well!  I have already gained a great deal by reading over the detailed commentary on scores.  It is helpful as I work back toward composing with "pencil, manuscript paper,(and eraser)" and Sibelius Notation Software.  (These past 3 or so years I have worked more in Logic, Apple's DAW/MIDI Sequencer, and with film using Apple's Final Cut Pro. I am a Mac user.)
  Sibelius is now owned by Avid and has made significant changes in it's interface. Part of the challenge is the process of learning it anew. I have considered switching to Finale, and welcome any comments you and others on the forum might have about notation programs. 
        Appreciatively, LA

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 06:36:38 PM »
The trouble with notation packages is that they appeal to different work habits. I have tried Sibelius out a couple of times and couldn't figure out how to do basic things. I'm just use to thinking the way Finale requires, I guess. I hated Dorico and its approach with all this "panel" nonsense. I just want a page of staffs and a tool to put notes and rests on, not jump through hoops with pages of irrelevant stuff before getting there. But, it's personal--and there really is no right or wrong. Finale does what I need a notation package to do, so I stick with it.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

LA Dierker

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »
Thanks Ron. I might take a look at Finale, and compare with Sibelius. Part of it is, of course, the tedium of note entry.  I have considered hiring someone to do the chore, but then that comes with its' own set of issues. LA

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
For what it's worth, I could take Ron's comment, swap "Sibelius" and "Finale", and have it apply to me.    I've had to use Finale a couple times and couldn't figure out how to do basic things.   (I eventually did the work in Sibelius, exported it using Music XML, imported it into Finale, and then did a lot of cleanup.)  And I very briefly looked at Dorico; all that "panel nonsense" reminded me of Finale.   :) 

I think you either need to stick with one product or use multiple products so extensively that you become multilingual. 

I've heard that Finale is more flexible, but  both Finale and Sibelius have huge user bases using the products to do what the need to do.  Get familiar with one of them and it will serve your well.  (Eventually the same may be said for Dorico ... maybe.)  If you want a very different workflow, look at LilyPond.  (Or better yet, don't bother.)

LA Dierker

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
Thanks Patrick and you are so correct about sticking with one program and becoming fluent in it.
 Sibelius was the first notation program I used, starting in 2001 and it worked well for me until the changes they made in recent years after being bought by Avid. (was that between 6 and 7?) 
    Also in the last 3 years I have been composing and doing film work using Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, so have gotten rusty with the notation program.   
I suppose we all want it to be less tedious and demanding than it is, no matter the program!  I was hoping for the magic answer....like a copyist maybe!
 I have Sibelius, so just have set aside the time required!
My son has mentioned Lily Pad, but then he is one of those software developer types..so I think I will take your "don't bother" advice. 
        appreciatively,  LA