Author Topic: Night Moods  (Read 1598 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Night Moods
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
a word of warning for the rehearsal... don't speak unless spoken to.
some conductors don't mind, others do. I believe Johan falls into the latter category.
I will definitely keep quiet.  If the orchestra makes egregious errors I'll try to whimper quietly.

whitebark

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »
Looks like the concert is coming up soon - Sunday at 6 pm. I hope the rehearsals have been going well!

Jay

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
The first rehearsal I'm allowed to attend is tomorrow evening.  I hope to be pleased.  We shall see.

RJB54

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »
Good luck.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »
They went through the piece twice on Friday.  The first time was pretty rocky; the 2nd time through was much better.  The Saturday rehearsal was pretty good ... except for some still quite sketchy places.  And those sketchy places did not seem to be the same ones giving problems on Friday.  They may have been just one-off goofs.  I have hope that it will be even better during the performance but I'll take what I get.

The performance also has Dello Joio's New York Profiles and Beethoven's 3rd symphony.  I wasn't familiar with the Dello Joio.  They seem to be doing a pretty good job with it.   

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 11:03:24 PM »
Well Patrick, it seems you have a success on your hands!
The audience appears to have appreciated it immensely, and I was told that the musicians enjoyed it very much as well.
The conductor feels it's the kind of work that would probably gain from being better understood with more rehearsal and maybe more performances. The eternal problem with new music is that it doesn't ever get that "lived in" feel because it doesn't get the chance to be "old hat" to musicians and conductors.
Congratulations, a rousing success.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »
Thank you, Michel.  I must admit I was surprised by the number of people - audience and musicians - that expressed appreciation.  (While I appreciate the audiences reaction, the musician's reactions are much more meaningful to me!)  I still think of myself as a retired techie rather than a composer so I'm still a bit stunned.

I was not overly hopeful after the two rehearsals I attended, but I think the orchestra did a good job.  It would have been better if taken a bit faster, but Johan wisely took it at the tempo the orchestra needed.   I believe the orchestra had only 4 rehearsals - Fridays and Saturdays of two adjacent weeks.  And some of the musicians missed the first two rehearsals because they fell on a US holiday weekend.  And many of the musicians have non-musical day jobs.   All in all, it's a very impressive little orchestra.   I could hardly have hoped for a better performance.   (They did a very good job on the Dello Joio piece, too.)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »
Johan was telling me how much he enjoyed the Dello Joio. I was telling him to find a recording of Dello Joio's "Fantasy and variations for piano and orchestra". Such a wonderful work, and never, ever performed.
He was also very happy with his Beethoven.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2019, 12:16:17 PM »
Congratulations Pat!

(I'm sure I had already posted a congratulatory message but it has somehow disappeared)

whitebark

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
Yes, Congratulations on the successful performance!

Jay

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 04:45:58 AM »
Kudos, Patrick!

Was the concert recorded?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »
The concert was recorded.  The organizer (and concertmaster) said the recording should be available this weekend.  If the regular concerts are handled like their summer program, I will be given a recording of my piece.  I'll post mine.  You may have to contact Dello Joio and Beethoven if you recordings of their pieces.

Update:
Link to an MP3 file of the performance
https://app.box.com/s/t15o5vsgtot8runnupfxpg7png04g6ox

There are a few unfortunate wrong notes but that just proves it's a live performance.  All in all, they did a  pretty good job.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:28:28 PM by Patrick O'Keefe »