Author Topic: Night Moods  (Read 513 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Night Moods
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
I only just got a chance to sit and listen to this.
It's quite beautiful (I am VERY partial to those "loud" chords at B... so crunchy, so lovely).
There area  few little notation things here and there that would be easy to correct.

The only issue I see is with some of the strong bowing. It would be worth sitting with a violinist to go over that.

I guess maybe I don't know Delius all that well (I don't), but to me this has a very American sound to it, with subtle hints of Copland here and there.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »
Thank you for looking at this. Michel.  I'll try to find a violinist willing to take some time with the work.  And I'll look for the notational problems.  (I often see what I expect to see and miss what's on the page.)

I'm familiar with only a handful of Delius works.  While I like them, I don't see a strong connection in this work with any of them.  I didn't purposely use any composer as a model but I can see how some of the open chords in the beginning could be reminiscent of Copland.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
I looked at the bowing and discovered I'd fallen back into my very strong tendency to use slurs as phrase markings rather than an indication of bowing.  Of course I slur an anacrusis onto the downbeat of the next measure; that's where the phrase is going.  <sigh>  Next I'd better see if any wind or brass players are going to collapse of asphyxiation because of my phrase markings.  :(

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
I only just got a chance to sit and listen to this.
It's quite beautiful (I am VERY partial to those "loud" chords at B... so crunchy, so lovely).
There area  few little notation things here and there that would be easy to correct.

The only issue I see is with some of the strong bowing. It would be worth sitting with a violinist to go over that.

I guess maybe I don't know Delius all that well (I don't), but to me this has a very American sound to it, with subtle hints of Copland here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrv1C4sRBFg    Delius!

Enjoy ...

Mark

LA Dierker

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »
YES, such beautiful music, and the title of this composition shows America's influence on Delius. This piece was composed in 1903 when Aaron Copeland was 3 years old, so perhaps Copeland was influenced by Delius?
     I did not know of this particular piece, so thanks so much Mark for the link.  LA

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »
Delius lived in Florida for a number of years.  I was not familiar with Appalachia but discovered his Florida suite (1887) when I was in high school - 55 years ago or more - and loved it.  Delius certainly was influenced by the music he heard in the American South - using slave songs in some works.   

I've never studied the music of either Delius or Copland, but I think Copland's relation to American music was quite different from that of Delius.  While Copland obviously picked up influences of the American music he heard, but he also created a sound that became American music.

I wasn't consciously aware of the influence of either of these composers while I created Night Moods, but I think the opening may have some of that "American sound" I associate with some of Copland.