Author Topic: Fragment  (Read 2133 times)

Jamie Kowalski

Fragment
« on: October 19, 2018, 07:08:55 AM »
Spider (Working title)

I've been putting off sharing this piano fragment for awhile. It's just a minute's worth of music, and it's taken me six months to write. That's sort of how things are going with me these days.

I've done some work on a contrasting section, but it's not ready to show yet.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Fragment
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »
I like it very much.
I know a great pianist, Philippe Prud'homme, who would probably be interested in it. He does LOTS of new music, and likes stuff that remains rooted in tonality.
If Philippe decides to start playing your music, he will be pushing it massively. He's a very tenacious champion of composers.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »
Very nice, Jamie. It'll be interesting to hear how you progress with this piece!

Art

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement!

This so far is probably the most technically demanding piano writing I've done, and I could never manage to play it myself. There are a lot of quick giant jumps, and I tend to miss those even with intense practice.

I'm thinking of putting this together with a couple of other short loose pieces I've written over the last couple of years and create a suite of etudes. They sort of go together in feel.

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
Very nice to hear new music from you again! IMO, it is parsimonious, it is dense with a propensity to turn intense any moment and highly intriguing (and very classy sounding :)) as usual.

Best of luck in assembling the suite!

Reha

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »
Interesting mixture of minimalist and jazz elements.

I look forward to the works development.

Mark

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 11:52:48 AM »
Etudes? Maybe, maybe not. Etudes seem to imply a pedagogical purpose. If you compile a group of them, which skills will practicing them improve? You might want to consider a group of pieces like this one as just a suite or divertimenti, not etudes. Just a helpful idea.

Art

whitebark

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 04:44:42 PM »
What an intriguing little fragment of music just begging to be extended and developed.  Left me wanting to hear more ..

Jay

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 07:37:29 AM »
Excellent start at something which could grow into a very interesting piece.

To me it would work well as a sort of scherzo with jazzy inflections.

Looking forward to more.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

LA Dierker

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 08:14:56 AM »
Very much enjoyed this "fragment" titled Spider, and yes interesting mix of jazz/minimalism. As the others, looking forward to hearing more! LA

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 07:30:07 PM »
I like!  With those repeated notes it reminds me a bit of Prokofiev's Toccata (which I love).