Author Topic: Finale Question About Percussion Toys  (Read 93 times)

RJB54

Finale Question About Percussion Toys
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »
Hello all.

I have a question which has been bothering me for a long time.

For years Make Music has been saying that one of the sounds which should be automatically available as part of the built-in Garritan sounds that come with Finale is the 'Percussion Toys' sound. I have never be able to get that sound to work. I see it in Finale, I can allocate an instrument to Percussion Toys, and I can go into the speedy entry mode and enter notes for the various instruments; however, the sounds won't play with the exception of the triangle.

What does one have to do to make this sound work in Finale?

I would like to use these instruments if I can ever get it to work.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

Re: Finale Question About Percussion Toys
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:55:30 AM »
They are usually all very silent. Increase their volume in the Score manager and in the VST Banks and Effects (both the Bank and the Master volume). See if they become audible that way.

If you haven't done that already, of course. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:47:42 AM by sandalwood »

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
OK< I'll try that, thanks.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
Well, that worked, thanks.

I had to set the volume in the aria player up to the max (200).

I generally set instruments to around 80, or even less. So, clearly this is why I could never hear those sounds.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:55:33 AM »
At one time I worked pretty closely with the Garritan and the Finale teams and had many conversations--some by phone--about this very issue. I personally cannot hear the triangle ever--no matter how much I boost the sound level. They have always said "yes, that's a problem" and then nothing changed. Now that MakeMusic has taken ownership of the Garritan libraries from their creator Gary Garritan I doubt we will ever see a change. They are a merchant with a flawed product, but, as long as people are buying it they are unwilling to spend the large sums required to fix the flaws.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »
To boost the volume of percussion that is just never loud enough I double or triple the part by copying it to a new layer, effectively giving me multiple instances of the instrument, and then adjust the volume of the extra instances in the Instrument List (still using 2008), but I imagine the Score Manager provides the same facility.
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 02:17:12 PM »
Have you tried placing the soft percussion instruments(s) in a separate Aria instance and adjusting that instance's base volume higher?

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »
Not yet. But that's my plan for the first piece I'll use it on.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
Have you tried placing the soft percussion instruments(s) in a separate Aria instance and adjusting that instance's base volume higher?
Yes, that's what I've been doing.

Normally, I set the Aria player banks and the master to 70. But for those soft percussion instruments I use a separate bank and set it to 200.

If needed, I also set the volume in the score as high as FFFF.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

RJB54

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
That's another good suggestion I'll keep in mind.
Frank Zappa

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 05:43:23 AM »
Normally, I set the Aria player banks and the master to 70. But for those soft percussion instruments I use a separate bank and set it to 200.
I set the soft instruments in their own Aria instances at about 140-150. Not only various percussion instruments need to be louder, including crash cymbals, but also flutes, oboes, and clarinets. Oddly, bassoon, bass clarinet, and baritone saxophone are way too loud, so I have to tone them down. In a concert band score, I usually have five or six Aria instances to accommodate all of these adjustments.

To fine-tune balance further, I often place hidden dynamics in my scores, or I redefine dynamics and choose louder or softer ones so that the score presentation remains viable.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:46:18 AM by gogreen »