Author Topic: Summer Concert  (Read 187 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Summer Concert
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:12:43 AM »
I played my first concert since my quadruple by pass surgery last April 16th.

Feeling Blessed...................... :angel:

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Summer Concert
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
Congratulations...and I hope for continued good health.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »
Great news Mark!

...and what a beautiful venue...and program.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
it's certainly a challenging program for a first after surgery!
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
Nice work, Mark.

Is there a recording?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »
Congratulations Mark. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »
it's certainly a challenging program for a first after surgery!

Thanks all for your kind wishes.

Michel ... the program was quite difficult.  The Strauss ... The Last Four Songs - exquisite however most challenging ... the musical woodwind lines go on forever .... and you must play "pp" under the singer and first oboe.  I spent hours fiddling with reeds to find 1 or 2 that would be flexible enough to do the job with sufficient tone and response.  And where to breathe?!  I guess after this concert ... I ready for the concert season.

Some of the pressure was lessened in the fact that I played 2nd when I usually play principal seat. 

One more note ..... I split the last part of the Strauss with the principal.  By the time she came to the end of the fourth song .... it was nearly impossible to have enough breath to play all those low C's "ppp".

On a funny note ... the pianist decided to run away with the last variation and left the conductor in the DUST!  Our orchestra did keep it together and saved the day until the conductor was on the beat again.  8)

Live concerts - you never know............................................

Mark

PS: Once the Strauss recording is done .... I'll post it.  The Singer was most extraordinary.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:14:45 PM by mjf1947 »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
the Strauss is one of my favourite works, particularly Im Abendrot... just hearing the first chord brings immediate tears to my eyes.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 04:29:15 PM »
the Strauss is one of my favourite works, particularly Im Abendrot... just hearing the first chord brings immediate tears to my eyes.

Same here. Italics mine :)

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
Glad to hear you've recovered enough to handle that program.  Keep up the good work.

I can only repeat what the others have said about Im Abendrot.  That has always sent shivers down my spine ... even before I knew it's meaning.