Author Topic: August 2018: The Future Of Classical Music  (Read 130 times)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
August 2018: The Future Of Classical Music
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
This question was suggested by one of our forum members: Where do you think the classical music is headed in the 21st Century? Any 21st century composers/works you favor or deem significant? Why? Would you care to provide some context?

I liked this one because it can be interpreted in multiple ways. Where is the music going? Where is the art form going with respect to audiences/streaming/etc.

Looking forward to reading the answers...
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

sandalwood

Re: August 2018: The Future Of Classical Music
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 09:22:09 PM »
I think we may expect more accessible and expressive music, on the whole, being written in this century compared to the last one. But then, a century is a long time and who knows what will happen a decade or two from now.

As regards the music industry, I recently read a series  of interviews with nearly a dozen prominent orchestra directors, music scholars, composers etc on the future of major symphony orchestras and they were all pessimistic and thought that the situation was financially unsustainable. Already, the orchestras frequently had to program film and video game musics and pops to lure in the millenials and less classical listeners and some sort of visual projection was becoming common even in symphonic concerts. Still, the halls were half-filled even when the Concertgebouw came to town. Some noticeably said they thought the community orchestras and local  a capella societies would have greater survival chances.

Add to this the estimates that only Naxos will be left soon as a classical label, recording and distributing live performances only. However, recorded music will have no commercial value other than promotion, because "money will be made by performing, by donations, by sponsorships and, in some cases, by endorsements".

I can understand these difficulties but I don't believe the classical music is going to lie belly up. Just think of the often reported 50 million students of classical piano and violin in China only  and that from a population of 110 average IQ and language-induced perfect pitch.

As regards favorite 21st century music(ians), I'd like to hear what others have to say because I feel I have yet acquainted myself with very little of the pre-21st century music, let alone the 21st century music. Nonetheless, I  do stumble  on living composers  from time to time and I can mention, for instance, A Rubtsov, who I believe has some chamber works in the caliber of Bozza, Koechlin or Françaix.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:12:01 PM by sandalwood »

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 06:46:40 AM »
I have no data to back up my opinions, just a gut feeling, but I think we are going to see a greater emphasis on beauty and positive emotions in the coming decades, after all the angst and anguished music of the 20ieth century. I have nothing to base this on except the few pieces I have encountered that have been written during the past decade.

I am not a frequenter of art galleries, but what I have seen of the works of friends and of art posted online, I think this is a trend in art generally.

There are many reasons for this, but I think that artists--and people in general--are shedding the negative outlooks of the past century that was dominated by existentialism, nihilism, and anarchy. One can't avoid bringing up politics, but I think that Trump--and other "populist" leaders around the world--represent the last desperate gasp of a generation that was ruled by apocalyptic fears. Artists, and the educated in general, are groping their way towards a new vision that embraces the positive bonds between all peoples. In music, this will mean even more eclecticism, more lightness and light.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:50:38 AM »
I certainly hope Sandalwood's "more accessible and expressive" and Ron's "greater emphasis on beauty and positive emotions" come to pass. I have enough angst in my real life, and the beauty of music is one way I escape from it temporarily. The last thing I want is for the music I listen to to create more angst and anguish. Music often expresses back to us what life hands us, and can be a way to process those negative emotions as well as the positive ones, but if there's no resolution to that angst and anguish, then "no thanks, I'll listen to something else."

The future fate of orchestras et al? Not a clue. I certainly hope they remain in some form, but today's electronic/digital age requires all art forms to adapt. If that's at the expense of live performances in the great halls of the world, then we will have truly lost something precious.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
I can only say that those who approach me about commissions for new works always bring up that they love the lyrical parts of my music.
So, even musicians and conductors are sick of the "beep boop bang crash" style of music.
Audiences don't want to hear it, either.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that lyrical and more accessible music is the future, that music will find its way back to being a mode of communication.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"