Author Topic: Major New Work  (Read 685 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Major New Work
« on: July 23, 2018, 05:28:46 AM »

NOTE: 3rd movement modified as per the suggestions below. The .mp3 and .pdf have been replaced. Now I have to search for and correct the collisions Michel mentioned in the 1st movement.

As usual 99% done, awaiting your input. It took more than 7 months to write this. I have been starting and dropping things for too long and was determined to see this through. I re-wrote entire movements several times.

Sounds files:

http://www.ronaldjbrown.com/cf/string_symphony_m1.mp3
http://www.ronaldjbrown.com/cf/string_symphony_m2.mp3
http://www.ronaldjbrown.com/cf/string_symphony_m3.mp3
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:43:10 PM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Major New Work
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
there are a few notation thingies here and there, like some collisions of elements (mostly in the 1st movement), and a few spots where I would have beamed the notes differently (your syncopations that cross the middle of the measure in the 1st movement).

Overall a VERY solid work. Rather austere. There's an echo of a schuman-esque fugue in the final movement.

Might I suggest trying boosting the tempo up from letter B in the finale? Just a question of avoiding too much of an overall sameness in tempo. It would work nicely as a coda and add a bit of excitement.
I might also suggest having the 2nd violins join (in counterpoint) the violas on those stretches of rapid notes after B.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
Thank you, Michel.

I will look at all the issues you brought up. :)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
Ron, I think this is an outstanding work. I enjoyed it a lot. A very nice surprise was the last mvt finale with the violas, the pizzicati and the feminine ending. With the middle mvt I could establish a weaker resonance compared to the outer mvts. Overall, I find the work very emotionally intense and expressive, evocative of the pathos in some Baltic works.

A real achievement, in my humble opinion.

Reha

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
Thanks, Reha, much appreciated.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:32:14 AM »
Ron,

Congratulations. It's a remarkable work. Your command of the idiom is superb.

I expected a fast tempo in the third movement, so what you did came as a surprise. The slow ending of Tchaikovsky's 6th comes to mind.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
An excellent piece.

I agree with Michel's comment about the tempo at letter B in the last movement. A slight accelerando into B and a somewhat quicker tempo through the end would be a fine effect.

I really liked the beginning and ending portions of the first movement. I found them quite moving. However, I found the middle part around pages 6 - 8 a little less interesting. I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe its a bit 'samey' in terms of rhythm for me, maybe there's a slight change in the harmonic motion, I don't know. Perhaps a slight uptick in the tempo in that area would do the trick.

That very subjective issue aside, this is a very fine work. Congratulations.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
I thank everyone for the helpful comments. I have modified the 3rd movement and replaced the pdf and mp3 files in the original post.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »
Hi Ron,

Thanks for posting this. It's a lovely work!

I very much like the direction your harmonies have taken.

LA Dierker

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 12:32:58 PM »
Just beginning to listen to this work Ron. The mood of the first movement seems to reflect, for me, the anguish of parenting grown children discussed in recent forum posts.  Also, thanks for mentioning the on-line course exploring the Beethoven Sonatas. I am "enrolled" and have found Jonathan Biss a delightful teacher.  best, LA

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »
Just beginning to listen to this work Ron. The mood of the first movement seems to reflect, for me, the anguish of parenting grown children discussed in recent forum posts.  Also, thanks for mentioning the on-line course exploring the Beethoven Sonatas. I am "enrolled" and have found Jonathan Biss a delightful teacher.  best, LA

Thanks for the kind words. After the initial course, Jonathan Biss went on to create two more courses on Beethoven's sonatas, all in Coursera. Well worth the time. I really enjoyed them and appreciate the radical changes that Beethoven brought to music all the more so thanks to Jonathan's detailed knowledge. He's an accomplished pianist as well--and that helps.
Ron
Rules? What rules?