Author Topic: Minuet (movement 3) of my Classical Symphony  (Read 247 times)

whitebark

Minuet (movement 3) of my Classical Symphony
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »
After a heavy session of rework, I now present the third movement of my Classical Symphony, "Minuet". This piece follows the usual structure of a minuet, with a few modifications. Oddly, I wrote this movement first - the others followed later. 

I think the movement is more or less finished, so I consider it a completed work.

-Jay

Sound:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5w54wj34622ao6/Classical%20symph%20mvt3%20v14.mp3?dl=0

PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x69bagpyq8lrfb4/Minuet%20v14.pdf?dl=0

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Minuet (movement 3) of my Classical Symphony
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
Jay,

Lovely …. I don't know what it is …. however, I keep hearing the romantic film score genre of the 1930's in your work… with a definite English flavor to the compositions.  (Also hidden in the work a slight feeling/touch of Respighi.)

The orchestration works quite well … I really like the opening with the clarinets supporting the upper winds with a light melodic line.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »
Thanks for listening, Mark.  This movement is a light and fluffy piece of music to be sure, but Minuets usually are. Well, time to work on something else..

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
Jay,

Light and fluffy it might be in tone, but the orchestration is expert and weighty.

Beautiful work.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Gillespie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 05:03:08 AM »
Jay,
 I enjoyed it, too.  Very nice.  What notation software and sound libraries did you use?

Update: Ah, found the answers in your IVth movement post.

Clay
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:05:25 AM by Gillespie »

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »
A very fitting addition to the other mvts, in my opinion. Witty and well-crafted. Congratulations Jay!

whitebark

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
Clay,
Yes, the sound was created with Sibelius and the Noteperformer 3 plug-in. The more I work with it, the more I sense that version 3 of Noteperformer works better in many subtle ways.

Actually there is a complication to this: I actually create the scores using Musescore, which has become quite a bit better over the years, although perhaps not up to the level of Finale and the other score creation software out there.  Somehow I can't bring myself to learn Sibelius enough to use it to create scores...it just seems hard to use.  After creating a score with Musescore, I export it to Sibelius using the MusicXml format, then render the sound there.

Reha, thanks for listening.  I'm quite happy how the  Minuet movement is turning out.  There is a second movement to this little symphony, but I'm hesitant to introduce it quite yet.

Jay

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 05:39:17 PM »
I don't know if I would call this 'light and fluffy'. To me it sounds like a classical pastiche written by a 20th century French composer (Ravel perhaps); diatonic but with little quirky touches that stop it from being just a simple imitation.

Well done.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa