Author Topic: Hello  (Read 535 times)

janx

Hello
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »
Hi - I'm janx and new here. Good to meet you all.

I compose orchestral music and am looking to learn and give advice where I can.

:)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:14:12 AM »
Hi Janx. Welcome to the group.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 06:10:40 AM »
Welcome, janx. Dive right in!

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:27:26 AM »
Welcome :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »
Welcome Janx.

As a suggestion on where to start, I might recommend listening to, and commenting on, some works by other forum members from the different categories. This is a way of you getting to know others, and also let others know you are interested in them as well.

Remember that this forum is not simply an echo chamber.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

M.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

janx

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
Thanks all :)

janx

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »
Welcome Janx.

As a suggestion on where to start, I might recommend listening to, and commenting on, some works by other forum members from the different categories. This is a way of you getting to know others, and also let others know you are interested in them as well.

Remember that this forum is not simply an echo chamber.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

M.

Thanks Michel - will do.

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
Welcome. I look forward to hearing your compositions.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »
Welcome to the Forum~!  8)

Mark

janx

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:53:05 AM »

Mark

Thanks Mark. :)

Is there right way of deciding if one's work belongs in the junior or senior 'Music By Members' forum? (I'm just asking for the future - I wont be posting there yet).

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 05:16:42 AM »
If in doubt, go for the "Junior" section. Most of what's posted in the "Senior" section is by people who have college degrees in composition and have many years of experience and multiple performances.  That does not mean that you must have those kinds of credentials, but the quality should high.

Personally, from a mental standpoint, I'd rather post in the Junior section and have someone say "Hey! That's an awesome piece! You belong in the Senior section!" ... instead of "Yo, dude! This piece is cute and all, but there's some stuff in there that's, well, um, ... Here: try reading this book and come back when you're done..."
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »

Mark

Thanks Mark. :)

Is there right way of deciding if one's work belongs in the junior or senior 'Music By Members' forum? (I'm just asking for the future - I wont be posting there yet).

Janx,

I post in the Junior section since I do not have a music degree.  (I am an amateur Oboist - I play principal in 2 community orchestras).

You will find people on the forum; especially the well learned - professional will give you honest feedback.  This feedback will guide you.  I was lucky once ... to have someone say ... my piano nocturne belong in the senior section...a real honor.

The best approach on the forum is to be a "regular guy" and listen to the feedback.  Nothing here is meant to be hurtful, humiliating, or insulting.  Some people who join have "thin skin" - they do not do well here at all and soon depart.  Most of us realize that composing competently takes years of education and experience. 

For myself ... as an amateur - I glean what ever I can.  This forum has kept me composing for over 12 years ... with some real successes..... it's an avocation close to my heart.

Happy composing,

Mark

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:01:39 AM by mjf1947 »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 08:09:18 AM »
the junior and senior forums will get you different feedback, as well there will be a different expectation of quality.

in the junior forum, criticism is aimed at teaching, correcting potential mistakes, guiding the composer to improve and learn new techniques and expand upon older ones.

in the senior forum, it is expected that there will be minimal notation issues, or major orchestration errors, or structural weaknesses. While the aesthetic of the work (the musical language) will generally not be an issue, someone writing "pseudo-mozart" posting in the senior forum will find it more demanding that they evolve musically.
In other words, there's nothing wrong with tonal harmony that demonstrates an awareness of the evolution of music over the last 200 years. There is still much great tonal music to write.
However, tonality does not mean "common practice" (ie: like mozart/haydn/et al wrote)
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

janx

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »
Many thanks Mark, Terence and Michel :)

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10