Author Topic: Flamenco Study  (Read 71 times)

AO

Flamenco Study
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:21:43 AM »
This is a little study I started last year and Iím thinking of expanding on it, maybe not.  Although I think guitar always sounds a bit cheesy as a virtual instrument, Iím surprised how well Finale plays back the rasgueado. Although I know guitar construction has improved drastically in recent years, as far as projection and volume, Iím not quite sure of how much of an orchestra I can get away with and keep a balance here.

Not too much to see in this score but adding anyway.

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Flamenco Study
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »
Arthur,

I think the sound is quite good, and the orchestration of the harmonies and the use of the different instruments are well done.

I question the thematic material. The scalar figures on the guitar don't do much melodically. But maybe that's just the limitation of Flamenco.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:39:33 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »
Nice, AO. I think you could expand this snippet A LOT. I see an awful lot of blank measures for woodwinds, for instance. In addition to filling out the orchestration, I think you could add much harmonic variety to some of the melodic lines--the string pizzicato measures at the end, for example. By the way, I thought the pizzicato there was a nice touch. You could also write countermelodies and embellishments to thicken the orchestration.

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »
Very pleasant music! Like Art, I too look forward to your expanding this to something larger.

Might some shorter notes, like the 32nds in mm. 71, 79, 80,  playback more human-like  if you assigned different dynamics and/or slightly off-pitches to some of them?  The pizzicati at the end sounded a bit too loud to me.

Reha

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:10:12 AM »
Hi,

I enjoyed the work.

Do you play guitar?

I would suggest a bit more interplay between the solo guitar and the orchestra .... at the moment the orchestra seems to be more of an underpinning than a partner.

Mark