Author Topic: String Quartet premiere  (Read 971 times)

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
Re: String Quartet premiere
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 06:37:16 AM »
Michel,

I'm blown away by this piece. Probably my favorite work of yours that I've listened to. It's so mature and well-conceived. Beautiful from start to finish. This is going directly on my iPod.

I'm very jealous of your string writing. It makes me want to work harder!

Please feel better soon.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
thank-you Jamie, that means a great deal to me.
You know, for the string writing... since I took up the viola (and at that, VERY part time, as in: I can play scales and that's about it, although I've manged to read my way through a few of the Bach cello suites in the viola transcription) I've found that I have an affinity for writing for strings.
The string players I've worked with have all complimented me on how comfortable and idiomatic the string writing was.

I'd suggest go out and buy a $200 violin from either Walmart or Amazon, and find a teacher for like one lesson a month for a few months. It will REALLY give you a good idea of what is doable and not. Also, always have your instrument next to you when writing for strings. I play through everything I write, checking fingerings (and I'm terrible at them, but if I can figure it out, then real string players certainly can). Also, having the heft of the instrument in your hand helps give you ideas about what can be done and what could be interesting.

There's a short passage in my violin concerto that one violinist especially complimented me on. She said she'd never come across that particular way of approaching a technical issue. maybe never having seen enough violin repertoire from really close opened my eyes to seeing things others missed?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 06:35:06 AM »
I'd suggest go out and buy a $200 violin from either Walmart or Amazon, and find a teacher for like one lesson a month for a few months. It will REALLY give you a good idea of what is doable and not. Also, always have your instrument next to you when writing for strings.
The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. Thanks for a wonderful suggestion. One of my oldest friends is even a violin teacher!

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
Michel: Sorry to come to this thread so late--I've been busy with family matters (very good things, actually) since summer and only in the last week or so have I gotten back into the swing of things at home.

I agree with everyone--this work is extraordinary, and the performance is great! I loved the major chord at the end. I think one of the elements that makes the work so attractive is the variety--the breadth and depth--you've incorporated into the piece--string techniques, rhythms, melodic lines, dynamics, tempi--a whole gamut to keep listeners satisfied and players on their toes! I also like that with all these elements weaved into the piece, it just, well, flows. Nothing seemed forced to me. Like the birds in nature, the whole thing seemed natural to me. Capturing that quality musically, in itself, is a magnificent achievement.

Congratulations, Michel. Bravo!