Author Topic: July  (Read 401 times)

AO

July
« on: May 06, 2018, 07:07:44 PM »
I started this project over a year ago, I wanted to do a 3 or 4 minute piece every month and hopefully chain them together in some kind of suite, some months got discarded, some months just didnít happen, so I guess Iíll try to keep up this exercise and hopefully piece the best together before I die. This particular piece I did last July, Iím sharing this because I just started becoming aware of the ďDAWĒ, I use Finale and Iíve always had Logic Pro for recording purposes but never really used it for importing individual parts from finale. (There has to be an easier way to do that, but thats for later.)  Anyway this is from July of last year imported into Logic,

I imported all the tracks as audio files, I know I can also import as midi, I havenít used any effects accept volume control, I would appreciate any tips on this finale to logic DAW stuff.

sandalwood

Re: July
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
This is good! Lean but effective orchestration as I hear it, I really liked it...and good story-telling, though I could not quite get on-board with the new episode after 1:45, conditioned by the momentum till then

The score?

Reha

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »
I like it, AO! However, I don't get the connection to July. At first I thought this was building to a thunderstorm. I was expecting more of a programmatic treatment, so I didn't hear any elements that said "July" to me. The cymbal crash at :26 seemed out of place or, at best, tentative. Aside from these items, I did like the piece. The orchestration was skillful, and I liked the textures you created, especially the sparse use of percussion (cymbal crash aside).

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
AO,

The orchestration is pretty exciting, and fairly transparent.

What I have to say is about drama. I don't know what's supposed to come before or after the piece, so I can comment only on what I hear.

It starts tentatively, and promisingly, but then immediately jumps into full scale involvement. I wanted it give me a theme to latch onto and then enjoy hearing develop.

Instead, throughout I felt as if I were being led in a direction only to have it diverted to a different direction. I have the impression that there are ideas there that could be developed more precisely and gradually.

Of course, I'm pretty old-school, so that's just my perspective.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

AO

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to listen to my composition. These are all good observations and suggestions, Iíll have to check out that cymbal crash. I personally have trouble connecting my musical thought to any particular physical thing, I have a friend who is so obsessed with relating his music to things in nature, to the point he had gone to various northern countries to experience the Northern Lights and study the traditional folk lore in those areas, he is now doing something with volcanos, what timing.

Myself, I guess Iím more on the abstract side, I think following some formula or expectation distracts from the creative flow, this July piece has nothing to do with July, itís simply an exercise I do every month, kind of a note book, pun intended. Eventually, I hope to put 12 short pieces into some sort of cohesive suite.

Having said this, I must say Iím getting enthralled by this electronic stuff Iíve recently discovered. Iíve had Logic Pro for the longest time for recording purposes, and to import my Finale compositions to add a bit of reverb, I never played with all the toys that are available with this program, I knew what DAW stands for but didnít know how it worked. I almost feel guilty that my composing is on hold while I indulge with this Synth stuff, I guess thats one advantage of being an amateur, no deadlines.

Recently I bought a VST synth called Hexeract, using this and alchemy, which is bundled withLogic plus a few of my own sampled sounds, I came up with this slide show using Goole images and iMovie, itís only 2 minutes if you care to check it out,  Cheers,AO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtIYQuJQns

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »
Those are devastating images. More people should be exposed to them.

For the purposes of this forum, which is about music that is at least theoretically intended for live performance, it's important to post the score.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

AO

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
Thank you for listening to my video Jer, I guess I should have warned how depressing it was, sorry.but anyway, here is my theoretical score of July since you asked. cheers.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
AO,

Thanks for the score.

But I meant the score to the video, not the previous piece.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:54:59 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

AO

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:57 PM »

For the purposes of this forum, which is about music that is at least theoretically intended for live performance, it's important to post the score.

Cheers,
Jer

There is no reason to see a score for this synth stuff, although it is amazing that Logic will render these sounds/noise to notation, sort of.   The sounds generated by manipulating the sound waves and filters, sequencers etc. will simply notate the keystrokes, as far as a score goes. The point of my post was not the video, but how  I have become aware of how useful it is to be able to import Finale into Logic, still a lot to learn in that regard.

paulr

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »

Cheers,
Jer

There is no reason to see a score for this synth stuff, although it is amazing that Logic will render these sounds/noise to notation, sort of.   The sounds generated by manipulating the sound waves and filters, sequencers etc. will simply notate the keystrokes, as far as a score goes. The point of my post was not the video, but how  I have become aware of how useful it is to be able to import Finale into Logic, still a lot to learn in that regard.

Hello Arthur,

I have done "synth stuff" too, and I can see your point.  But I don't agree.  You would need to have the notes, obviously, but also some extra indications and explanations in the score itself and possibly a paragraph or two about the set up used. 

Like this (but probably with greater detail):

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=500875&start=390.

Finale lets you create your own "smart shapes" - so you could have ones for opening and closing a filter, for instance.

Also if you are using a multi oscillator VST (very common) they do not always play in unision - it's possible (normal in fact) to have them slightly detuned and/or to have definite instervals. 5ths and octaves are common, thirds less so but any interval could be used.  This should be noted because otherwise the score would be confusing.
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Finale 25
Cantabile Solo 3.0

AO

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
Paul, I checked out your link, do you have stuff uploaded to that forum? I'd like to check it out. I have synthmaster-one but haven't used it yet. I'm not too serious about this stuff although it's lots of fun, I think it would be unnecessary and tedious for me to try and score any of this, and I'm sure not too many members here would be interested. 
Here's another little movie, not depressing this time, it's mostly logicX, and hexeract presets, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIATx4PgVRU

cheers.