Author Topic: May, 2018: Stepping Down  (Read 508 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
May, 2018: Stepping Down
« on: April 30, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
I have a terrible memory. Lately I've told people I've been managing this site for about 15 years. I've done a bit of checking. We have been in the format since 2011 and prior to the switch over I ran it for 5 years under the old format. I am pretty sure of that because I took over the old forum after returning from a trip to Sudbury to attend a B&B conference. That would have been in 2006. I had been a member since the inception of the Composers' Forum and that must have been in 2002.

In any case, I have been managing this site for 12 years--and that is long enough. It is time I handed it off to someone else.

I don't know if anyone ever notices, but I have made very few comments on posted works for the past few years. The reason is fairly simple: I cannot hear them. My hearing has been degenerating for several years and that degeneration appears to be accelerating lately. High pitches are gone. And the lowest pitches of the contrabass sound like dull thuds. I am working on a work for string orchestra at the moment and when I play it back, there is an annoying, persistent, high-pitched scream in the background--even thought there are no notes anywhere near that range. That is also the reason I have rarely finished anything, except for a few very short works.

In any case, I hope someone will step forward to take this on. The cost out of pocket, for the URL registration and hosting, is about $100/year, so it will not put anyone in the poor house--and maybe you can find a cheaper deal. The software I am using is free--and there are many free forum-management packages out there. I'll certainly be around and can offer free advice and help out where I can.

I am grateful for all the support I have received over the years from our long-time members, but, especially for my co-manager: Michel.

Please feel free to send me a private note if you have any questions that require a private answer. Public questions will be answered here.

Thank you to everyone.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:18:10 PM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: May, 2018: Stepping Down
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »
Ron, I feel guilty replying to your post without offering to take ownership of the forum, but the alternative would be to not respond at all - not thanking you for the work you have done.  That would be unconscionable!

I've been a very irregular member on the forum - being absent for about 6 years, then on a few months, off a few months - but I would not be composing if it weren't for help and advice given on this forum.   (On the old forum, I think.)  You, Michel, and Harold Owen (Whatever happened to Harold?) all told me to get formal training in music theory.  A bit painful at the time but the best advice I've ever been given.

The time and effort you've put into this forum have been invaluable.  You may not always see the results but we members definitely feel it.

I understand the frustration of hearing loss.  My own hearing loss is technically no worse than "moderate" but it definitely gets in the way of composition and the enjoyment of listening.  I've had tinnitus since my 20s or 30s.  I can usually ignore it but I cannot hear quiet passages.  My more recent high frequency loss has certainly muddied timbrel differences in instruments.  (An up-side: sound libraries don't necessarily sound worse than live instruments now; it's all muddied.)  I have hearing aids, but they introduce their own distortion so I have to turn them down at concerts.  I apparently also have some loss in the low end and that means I can't clearly hear the bass note of chords.  That may be why I like ambiguous tonal centers; everything I hear has an ambiguous tonal center.  :)   I may make light to this but it is very frustrating.

Thank you very much for all you've done here over the years.  I hope someone comes forward to take over your work.  It would be a terrible loss to see all that you've built here come to an end.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:18:31 PM by Patrick O'Keefe »

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
Harold retired some 6 or 7 years ago. He initially rejoined when we switched platforms, but never contributed anything after that. He was a kind and generous teacher and his presence has certainly been missed.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »
Thank you for maintaining this site for all these years!

Jay

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 05:53:47 PM »
Thanks Ron, for your effort these past years. Without all of the work you and Michel have done to keep this place running I imagine we'd all be different people writing different music. I know I would.
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »
I totally agree with Jamie. I think this forum is an excellent school and a wonderful community and I feel very lucky and very grateful for being a member and enjoying all those privileges. Thanks Ron for bearing the flag all these years, I'm sorry to hear your hearing complaints have increased. Thanks also to Michel and all others who make this forum tick, which I hope and believe will never cease ticking.

AO

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 06:19:35 AM »
Sorry about your hearing problems Ron, there couldnít be a worse fate for any musician.  Although I havenít been a member here very long I also want to thank you for maintaining this great site and wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 11:01:42 AM »
You've done a heck of a job, Ron. This is a great site.

I'm relatively new here, but in that short time I've learned a great deal and have benefitted greatly from becoming acquainted with the work of other musicians and seeing how things are done.

I do hope someone can pick up where you've left off. I've seen your posts not only here but on other forums as well over the years, and I sure hope you won't disappear.

I can empathize. I don't know if your problem is tinnitus, but that's what I have, in the form of a continuous low-level hiss, which interferes somewhat with my perception of high pitches, but luckily has not reached a level of debilitating my hearing. Yet.

All the best.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »
Ron, I'm very sorry about your hearing situation.

You have done an excellent job on the forum over the years and I, for one, cannot thank you enough.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
Ron,

I wish you the best ...................

Please keep us informed on the site transition when it occurs.

Could you please explain what is required to run the site?

And how it might be different or similar to running a webpage?

Mark

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
Hi Mark,

It is no different than looking after any webpage. You have to pay the URL registration fee (about $20/year). The software I am using (simple machines) is free.

You need to backup the database and manage new members--which means watching for them, sending them an email to ensure they are not Russian bots like we were plagued with a few years ago and that they are interested in music, not in selling snake oil. I scan all posts on the site a couple of times a day to make sure everything is on the up and up. Upgrade the software as required.

That's about all that is involved.

No one has expressed interest in taking it on, which means that in a month or two it will simply cease to exist. I'll be sorry to see it go, but I cannot do it anymore.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 03:14:46 PM »
Ron,

I would hate to see it go .... I might be interested.  I need time to see how I recover first.

Mark