Author Topic: Mi Cuasi Son Montuno  (Read 3153 times)

paulr

Re: Mi Cuasi Son Montuno
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 01:59:36 PM »
I'm not sure I've much that is useful to add, mainly appreciative. 

This is really nice celebratory music.  Made me smile.

I'm not sure the discords (which have had quite a few mentions) matter.  They do add spice - but I think they should not sound like mistakes.

There's pretty clear example in the Irakere video (around 4:03).  But it is, as Jerry suggests, foregrounded and it sounds like they know full well what they are doing.

Please do keep working on this.  I hope you can get it performed too - which would probably lead to further inspiration and revision. 
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Finale 25
Cantabile Solo 3.0

sandalwood

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 04:18:44 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. I keep working on the piece in an on-off fashion and hope I manage to finish it some day. As to possibility of a performance, for me it must be so remote that it crossed my mind for the first time while reading your message. Thanks for the wish, anyway.

Irakere at its birth, it seems, was a collection of future stars, well-trained, proficient musicians and as such they held an important place in the progression from the more folksy mid-20th century music to the Latin jazz/timba/salsa of latter times.

LA Dierker

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
Enjoying listening to your composition and as I am new to the genre, learning from all comments. It will be fun to follow along as it progresses.
Thanks for posting. LA

sandalwood

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 12:45:28 PM »
Thanks for your comment.  This is basically being a learning process for me, too.  As to the Son Montuno (sub)genre, comparing to its original state as established by Arsenio Rodriguez towards mid 20th century, my piece displays a number of deviations mainly stemming from the differences in orchestral composition.  Beside the lead-singer and chorists, it is also devoid of  the equally crucial tres, the Cuban guitar/mandolin, amounting to being deprived of quite a number of "voice"s.  The trombone and timbale that I have as extras have generally found their way into orchestras even when they perform old Son Montunos. However, the flute, in my opinion, is totally alien to Son Montuno although typical of some other sub-genres. So, the piece, as it currently cruises along, tends to be a hybrid though conforming to many conventions of the Son Montuno.

LA Dierker

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
Very interesting for me, learning about this tradition, so am appreciating your added info as well as listening to your composition. By the way, great fun watching "you" in performance with the guiro! The link to YouTube moved to other performances including a flash mob Montuno in Munich! 
   Again, thanks,  LA

sandalwood

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
By the way, great fun watching "you" in performance with the guiro!

Isn't he adorable!..and he surely has far better credentials as a musician than mine: he has actually seen and held a guiro, plays at least one instrument, has performance experience, etc etc...not to mention his ability to attract crowds of fans.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:30:14 AM by sandalwood »

LA Dierker

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
Yes, very adorable. Your commentary and listening again to your music, means fun and I will dance off to work!
  Thanks,  LA

sandalwood

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 12:29:43 PM »
There was recent mention of Lecuona in the forum. One detail I remember having read on Lecuona's talent as a composer was that he had bursts of prolificity. The timeless Siboney, for instance, was born in a single night along with three other songs. So, it's four songs in one night versus the 400 (actually less but this sounds more striking) nights and days my "Son Montuno" has seen, awaiting consummation of its birth. 

Don't hold your breath! It's not finished yet. Especially the last half minute is rather incomplete. Actually, there are flute long notes as place holders in a couple of measures after 04:50 where there will be (supposedly "rich") flute figuration  (plus percussion, bass, etc). However, the timeline is finally established and nearly all intended ideas are now represented in the audio and the score. Sorry, it is still the messy playback score.

The added subsections since the last time (from the end of flute solo subsection @ 02:37, onwards) are a "horns contrapuntal" subsection that go under the names "diablo", "mona", "mambo" in various subgenres and a trumpet solo subsection. Between subsections or occasionally within them are short transition passages, the breaks (cierre/interludes), mostly featuring percussion.

As expected, I had  to gravitate towards a restrained trumpet writing to avoid or diminish  playback problems. Anyway it has mostly been great fun engaging unambitiously in the distinctive aesthetics and the nuts and bolts of a vast tradition, a childhood nostalgia.

I'd especially appreciate opinions on whether the piece seems to hold together and make sense. All comments welcome before I gather the strength to make the final push to complete the piece which, as I have come to understand even better, is only a humble trial by an outsider.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:30:42 AM by sandalwood »

sandalwood

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 08:36:14 AM »
Some progress and new audio/score.  Flute figurations in the last half minute and a couple of other things still lacking, however, as described in the previous post few days ago.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:31:24 AM by sandalwood »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
Reha,

Without directly comparing this to the last version, it sounds to me as if you've made changes and additions.

Each time I hear it I think about Charles Ives and the idea of two bands playing at the same time.

My previous comments about tonality aside, you asked about whether it holds together. I think it does, as a piece that plays and then ends.

The texture becomes denser at a couple of points, then opens up again. What I don't hear is a sense of accumulation, moving towards a resolution and conclusion. If that's not your intention, disregard.

It's great that you're continuing to work on it. Progressing with a work is something I find difficult to bring myself to do.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:08:31 AM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »
Thank you for your comment, Jer. I'm aware this piece has sounded deeply problematic to you from the start and nevertheless you've not refrained from commenting on it at every stage, many times in great detail to help me mend my ways :). I might not have chosen to duely repent :) but I do very much appreciate your feedback along the way. Thanks a lot!

A few words on accumulation and resolution: I guess I know what you mean, but also consider that much Latin music, being dance-oriented in spirit, is more about creating a groove through locking in patterns/ostinatos played by several instruments and reaching a hypnotic intensity through copious plain repetition of the refrain/estribillo.  My piece has basically been a beginner's exercise in trying to write in this idiom, though perhaps it came out a bit too wandering among the subgenres..

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 10:12:36 AM »
I might not have chosen to duely repent :) but I do very much appreciate your feedback along the way. Thanks a lot!
Reha,

Repent at leisure. Right now you're too busy ...

Okay, I do understand the idea of it being dance music. And you've successfully established that groove. The music swings.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 12:41:13 PM »
I hear some of the "out" bits Jerry may have been referring to, but they don't rub me as strongly as they do him.  I felt some exuberance that gets a little out of hand maybe.  I think there are a few places where the rhythm gets a little mixed, too, but none of it feels out of place to me.  It's a good beginning.  I hope you continue working on it.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 07:06:06 PM »
Reha,

The concept it very good ... the rhythms outstanding.

However, I still have some concerns about the harmonies ..... at times they feel too dissonant to the musical theme/line.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 07:14:11 AM »
Nice to hear you liked the rhythms and the overall concept, Mark. As to harmonies, you know some other members have also found them too discordant. I guess I must have some entrenched way of hearing them in a certain way. Thanks a lot for the feedback, anyway!