Author Topic: Marche Militaire  (Read 556 times)

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
Marche Militaire
« on: April 11, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
Just got the concert CD from my premiere in late January!

Marche Militaire was built on a piece I had started in ≈2002 and never finished. The orchestra I play with was commissioning pieces for it's 25th anniversary season, and I actually first gave them my Three Divertimenti for Oboe and Orchestra. The music director loved it until he saw the score and all of the changing meters.  :-\

They were still very impressed and asked if I could write something else in a short amount of time. I dusted off this old piece and completely rewrote it in about 3 months' time. I was very happy with the finished piece, though harmonically it's a bit younger than what I would write now.

The orchestra gave it a very valiant try and mostly succeeded, though in my own self-defeating way all I can hear in the performance are all the mistakes. (Perfectionism SUCKS)  >:(

Here's a recording of the piece in concert!
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Marche Militaire
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »
I really liked it!!
I think I can hear where the older sections give way to newer "rewritten" parts.

I have to say, my favourite parts were that low flute solo, then the extended slow section for solo strings.

and WOW that 1st trumpet player sure has some serious vibrato going on! LOL
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
I really enjoyed the change of mood with the flute solo/strings ..... nice juxtaposition with the opening percussion and brass.  It also lovely that the orchestra members here and there get a some exposure ... instead of all tutti.

Nice English horn echo ..... too.  I think all the small ensemble(s) work well.  The recapitulation again shines through after the middle interlude.

Stylistically .... I feel it is a bit of this and that .... though - the genre for me is "cinematic"  in feel and presentation.

By the way what (Community) Orchestra is performing? 

Are you playing he English Horn?

Mark
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:01:19 PM by mjf1947 »

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »
Thanks Mike and Mark!

This is the Chandler Symphony Orchestra; I am playing bass clarinet in this performance.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »
Thanks Mike and Mark!

This is the Chandler Symphony Orchestra; I am playing bass clarinet in this performance.

I looked at the concert season .... some ambitious works scheduled.

Enjoy.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
Congratulations on the performance, Flint!  Your orchestra did a good job with the colorful and dramatic music. The center section was rather sombre for a military march ( but I liked it all the same).

Jay

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
Yes, congratulations! That was quite a feast for the ears and for the in-between :). I was not surprised by the brilliant mazes of rhythms and orchestral colors but was pleasantly surprised by the captivating lyrical passages.

Reha

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »

Congratulations Flint. Loved it.

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »
Nice piece. I really liked the middle slower section. In the outer sections I hear a touch of Marche Slav (which is a good thing to me  :)).

On the whole the performance was decent. There were some issues as there always is in live performances (as Michel said that trumpet player for one).

All in all I enjoyed this piece. Good job.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa