Author Topic: Dance  (Read 553 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Dance
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:36:10 PM »
Here's something I been planing about with .....

Piccolo, Oboe, Bassoon, Percussion, Xylophone.

What do you think .... borrowed part of theme (with permission from Sandalwood) from a post.

Mark

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: Dance
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
OK, Mark, the jury's still out on this one for me. I think the instrument choices don't sit well with me. That piccolo seems out of place. Any special reason why you picked this instrumentation? It does sound dance-like. Semi-exotic? That was catchy. What happened in measure 7 with the snare drum part? The notes change and, to my ear, so does the instrument--is that a bass drum or a snare with snares off?

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
OK, Mark, the jury's still out on this one for me. I think the instrument choices don't sit well with me. That piccolo seems out of place. Any special reason why you picked this instrumentation? It does sound dance-like. Semi-exotic? That was catchy. What happened in measure 7 with the snare drum part? The notes change and, to my ear, so does the instrument--is that a bass drum or a snare with snares off?

The percussion did alternate between the snare and bass ..... Originally ... the pic part was soprano recorder.

This is a very rough presentation.  Just wanted to throw it out there.  The effect I desire is a 21st century Renaissance dance feel.

I'll continue to fuss with it and with the instrumentation. I do like "exotic" quality though.  :o

All other feedback appreciated.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »
Mark, that sounds very interesting! I hear the piercing piccolo functions well: complementing and highlighting. However, some other instrument, a sopranino(?) recorder for instance, could sound more in place, as (I think) Art points out, as well. As to percussion, maybe you could try a couple of other percussion schemes to see if they better support the concept/atmosphere. Perhaps, judicious use of tambourine could be a part of that percussion scheme, contributing to the modern "olden times" feel. Have you tried short 16th passages with the xylo, it might be worth a try to see if they would fit.

Reha

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:18 PM »
Mark, that sounds very interesting! I hear the piercing piccolo functions well: complementing and highlighting. However, some other instrument, a sopranino(?) recorder for instance, could sound more in place, as (I think) Art points out, as well. As to percussion, maybe you could try a couple of other percussion schemes to see if they better support the concept/atmosphere. Perhaps, judicious use of tambourine could be a part of that percussion scheme, contributing to the modern "olden times" feel. Have you tried short 16th passages with the xylo, it might be worth a try to see if they would fit.

Reha

Hey did you recognize the borrowed thematic material?  I did have a tambourine ..... took it out.  I'll revisit it again.  I try the sopranino .... I did play around with the soprano recorder.  I am still finding my way here.

Mark

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
I like!  I do agree with prior comments about the percussion - I don't think the bass drum worked well.  Keep working on it.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
Okay .... Here's some tweaks ... nothing spectacular.   Dropped the Piccolo and made/added other melody adjustments.  Fixed the bass drum part too.

I'll leave it alone now .... I just wanted to play with Sandalwood's melody a bit.

As the title says .... It's a Dance.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
It's indisputably a dance.

I could see the dancers having fun with it, each dancer relating to one of the three interlocking themes.

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
Nice little piece.

Regarding the instrumentation, I liked it, although I think it would be better with a flute rather than a piccolo.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Nice little piece.

Regarding the instrumentation, I liked it, although I think it would be better with a flute rather than a piccolo.

The revised version ... drops the piccolo.

Thanks for the review.

Mark