Author Topic: Tribute to Joe Ford: Final Version  (Read 2478 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Tribute to Joe Ford: Final Version
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 05:09:20 AM »
I hope we get to hear the recording soon!
I'll put a bit of pressure on the concert master ;)

I had no idea they had performed it. I heard nothing from Matt after I sent him the score. In fact, I was about to send him a note asking if he had abandoned the project.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
I didn't write anything for the tribute so was not in the loop.  Last week I noticed the tribute was on the Octava program and thought it odd there had been nothing on the Delian mailing list leading up to the performance.   I thought maybe I had been dropped from the list.  Instead, it apparently was a stealth performance.

I get the impression that Matt does most of the leg work for keeping the Octava Chamber Orchestra running and is stretched pretty thin. 

You'll probably get an audio file of the piece - I assume of the whole tribute, not just your part - in a week or so.  If not, reach out to him.

Update:
Apparently this tribute was not the suite discussed on the Delian Society forum shortly after Joe's death.   For instance, a movement by Jean Chatillon included last Sunday was not intended as part of the suite; it was just something Jean had given the orchestra.

I suspect that Matt had originally allocated a spot on the program for the suite but nobody in the Society coordinated the creation of the suite so Matt put something together on his own.  That explains why there were only 5 pieces rather than the much larger number being discussed over a year ago.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:17:01 PM by Patrick O'Keefe »

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 10:59:58 AM »
The fact that it was thrown together at the last minute maybe explains why my work was included because it greatly exceeded the time limitations that the Delian Society had placed on submissions--which is why I did not submit it via the society, but, instead, sent it directly to Matt.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 01:47:06 PM »
All of the pieces exceeded the Delian-imposed time limit.  There being only 5 pieces allowed for much longer pieces.  Had I known I might have submitted something.   But the piece I started working on seems to want a much smaller ensemble than a chamber orchestra.  As I left it, it's fragment for cor anglais and solo 'cello.

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 10:22:33 AM »
Here's the recording of my work. They sound somewhat insecure in a few places, but, overall, not too bad.

Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
absolutely lovely.
what a difference when it's played by living musicians, even if the intonation isn't perfect here and there.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
Yes....I concur .....quite lovely indeed.

Mark

PS:  It's so fine that I am listening to it over and over again as I work.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:32:41 AM by mjf1947 »

whitebark

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
I enjoyed listening to your touching musical tribute to Joe Ford. Despite a little raggedness and some intonation problems, the orchestra's performance brought out the beauty in the music.   

-Jay