Author Topic: "Episodes for Wind Qintet" - mostly complete  (Read 1473 times)

whitebark

Re: "Episodes for Wind Qintet" - mostly complete
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
I just listened to the completed version of your wind quintet , and enjoyed it very much. The music is lively and engaging, harmonies sophisticated but approachable. Good luck on getting a live performance!

Jay

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »
Thanks, Jay.  Some of those sophisticated harmonies are more of a cheap trick: take a simple motif, build some kind of harmonic structure on the first note (In this case it was a quartal chord with some inversions.), them use planing (rather than some diatonic technique) to put that structure on every note of the motif.  I think it often results in an engaging sound.  If the original motif is diatonic you end up with the whole thing being polytonal but each part being diatonic (in its own key).  If you want to get away from each part being diatonic,  interchange some of the notes in pairs of parts.  The harmony stays the same (maybe with some inversion) but now the individual voices may have their own identities.   Instant sophistication!

Of course that results in a homorhythmic piece but little tweaks can fix that.

Actually, I retract the "cheap trick" label.  It's just another compositional technique to create a cohesive sound while avoiding functional harmony.  It's effective if not overused (in my opinion).

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »
I think this piece is going to be performed at the Octava Chamber Orchestra's "Summer Chamber Music Extravaganza" on July 21.  They don't publish their summer program until shortly before the performance, but I've been told, ...

RJB54

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »
Sorry I missed this piece.

I liked it. A nice, pleasant, and unassuming piece. In my playing days I was in a woodwind quintet and we would definitely have liked playing a piece like this.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
Good luck on the performance, Patrick.

Delightful piece that I'm sure will be fun to play.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

whitebark

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »
The Octava concert, which features Patrick's wind piece, is coming up in one week!  Looks like an interesting program. I'll try to attend the concert.

-Jay

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 03:05:35 PM »
An "interesting" twist.   Yesterday morning I got an email saying essentially, "We don't have a bassoonist for the program.  Can you rewrite the part for bass clarinet?".   That was a pretty trivial change but it makes me a little nervous.  Seems a bit late to find that out.   I'm glad this is not a difficult piece.

I sort of feel like I'm misrepresenting the piece by saying it's for "wind quintet".  Yes, there are 5 players there, but that's not exactly what "wind quintet" usually implies.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:17:19 PM by Patrick O'Keefe »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
I sort of feel like I'm misrepresenting the piece by saying it's for "wind quintet".  Yes, there are 5 players there, but that's not exactly what "wind quintet" usually implies.

As long as it's not five kazoo players, I'm open to your liberal definition.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
The latest twist: they have found a bassoonist ... but he can make it for only one rehearsal.  I suspect I am going to regret the section toward the end (rehearsal mark I) where the music comes to a dead stop followed by an accelerando where the instruments enter one by one.  Easy if one person is "conducting"; chaos if each decides his or her own interpretation of accelerando.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 05:34:49 PM »
and this is why I make VERY liberal use of cue notes in my parts.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
Well, that wasn't the most satisfying evening I've ever experienced but it could have gone a lot worse.   In fact, parts of the piece came off quite well.  Two of the performers asked if they could take the piece to other quintets they are in.  (I said "Yes".)  And a couple wished they could play it again.  I think that's a good sign. 

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »
most definitely.
don't let a bad performance ruin the experience for you. there will be much better ones.
I'm happy for you that the musicians liked it enough to express interest in playing the pieces again. That's ALWAYS a good sign.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"