Author Topic: Added notes  (Read 681 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Added notes
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:23:56 AM »
This is an area I haven't really explored much in my music. Of course I used added 9ths, 7ths, and 6ths and the occasional cluster, but I haven't really explored using added note chords in any systematic way.

Of course the added 6th is used extensively in jazz and popular music, but there are varieties not often seen, as shown in the attached image.

An immensely useful construct is the augmented 6th chord. What makes it different than the enharmonically equivalent minor 7th is its function. Then we have the augmented octave and the quartal chord. To all of these one can add minor or major 2nds. When notes are added to the augmented 6th chord, motion is determined by the direction of the augmented 6th note. Does it rise, fall, or remain stationary? If the added notes are not of the passing tone variety, but, rather, are a consistent feature of the harmonic structure, a new tonal quality is created. Soft dissonances are created when major 2nds are added, sharp dissonances when minor 2nds are used.

Try it out. You might like it. :)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

whitebark

Re: Added notes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
Those are some colorful chords! Here are what they sound like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vleh59ssrf7tnpp/Added%20Notes.mp3?dl=0

-Jay

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:12:31 AM »
When it comes to spicing up the harmony, it's been worth it to me to try out any and all possible added notes. It's the ones I start off thinking can't possibly work that I usually leave in. :D

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
Here is an exercise with minor sixths added to (first) a descending sequence of major and minor chords, then later a sequence rising by thirds.  For string quartet.

Cheers!
Jay

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abvyluw2vb23ixv/Addedsixths.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgegfkrkfyw3t3a/Addedsixths.pdf?dl=0

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:03 AM »
Hey that's pretty cool, Jay! Not only added 6ths, but added rhythmic interest as well. You should extend this.

whitebark

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
Thanks, Jamie!  Since this topic of added notes is so complex, I went with the simplest version of added sixth chords in this exercise, as shown as the first items in Ron's examples. Even these have a wide ranging character. The major chord + major sixth has an almost silly pop music quality. In my first major composition of my childhood, I ended the piece with one of those chords.  Maybe  that is why the audience went wild after my high school orchestra finished performing the piece :)  The minor sixth with its crunchy dissonance works well for more serious music. I imagine one could spend years studying the topic of added note chords.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
I trust everyone understand that these are not "lessons" and I'm not really exploring anything in any detail, else I'd be posting in the theory section. They are just meant as areas that people might like to research further to expand their knowledge, if interested.
Ron
Rules? What rules?