Author Topic: New young composer  (Read 752 times)

luke

New young composer
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:04:41 PM »
I am a high school freshman, a very new composer, and I love dissonance. My favorites are Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, and Kapustin - all Russian composers.
As this is a forum created around the composition of contemporary music, I'll just say that Philip Glass and Steve Reich and John Cage aren't 100% my type. My personal liking/style of music has roots in atonality, dissonance, and minimalism, but not quite graphical scores, using strange musical instrument ensembles/computers/synths, or true 12-tone.
Because I have not lived very many years and have only recently started taking music very seriously (I just played in a concert), and have only gotten introductions to contemporary classical music. My works have been largely classical-esque and of jazz idiom.
I hope to learn more about contemporary music through independent study and with the advice of this forum as I experiment during this curious era in music.
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: New young composer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Luka.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
Hello and welcome.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »
Hi Luka...and welcome.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:32:43 PM »
Welcome! I recognize your name from the Finale forum!

luke

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
Ah, yes, the wonderful Finale forum. I consider the Finale world my home, considering how much time I spend in it.
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel