Author Topic: More Complex Scales  (Read 511 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
More Complex Scales
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
I'd expect that everyone realizes that there are many ways to put together scales. A scale is, in my opinion, a framework, or scaffolding, on which to build melodic and harmonic elements. Here are some examples.

These are just some ideas. When I took a course based on Persichetti's book, my teacher was amused when an exercise called by a pentatonic scale, so I used something like C - Db - E - F# - A. "What kind of pentatonic scale is that?" he wanted to know. Just because a scale does not exist in a previously known form doesn't mean you can't use it.

So, write a short piece for keyboard employing at least two scales of your choosing, either simultaneously or sequentially.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:24:42 AM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

whitebark

Re: More Complex Scales
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »
Here's my first attempt at this exercise, a short little tune using the  phrygian mode in the bass and a modified lydian mode in the treble.  The scales play first, then the music.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr7sla9i3mlcyvi/Exercise%20-%20more%20complex%20scales.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkhlvlgwcpp7je5/Exercise%20-%20more%20complex%20scales.pdf?dl=0

-Jay

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
Fun and inventive. Thanks for trying it out.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »
You're welcome...keep these exercises coming, Ron!  They are helpful for me as I attempt to modernize my composing style in some sort of rational fashion- I've already used one of my exercises to compose a longer piece (Sinfonia for Strings, movement III).