Author Topic: More Forum Errors  (Read 1761 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
More Forum Errors
« on: December 07, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »
Once again our host, GoDaddy, moved our files to another server with no notice of any kind, resetting file permissions in the process so that no one could connect. It appears to be okay now.

Let me know if you experience any problems.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

RJB54

Re: More Forum Errors
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:57:25 AM »
Ah, that explains it.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
More problems last night and today. Tech support is flailing.
Ron

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
A total of four hours on the phone over two days with tech support got us this far. Things are still not 100%, but the basics seem to be working.

Let me know if you stumble across show-stoppers.
Ron

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
It took another two hours on the phone with GoDaddy before they washed their hands of it. I went through every line of forum code in detail and found one backward slash (a \ instead if a /) in a pathname. Corrected it, and we are back up and running. (BTW, I never touched that code before--somehow it got messed up in moving from a Windows server to a Linux server.)
Ron

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »
Which just goes to show that quite often, tech support is of much "support".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
It took another two hours on the phone with GoDaddy before they washed their hands of it. I went through every line of forum code in detail and found one backward slash (a \ instead if a /) in a pathname. Corrected it, and we are back up and running. (BTW, I never touched that code before--somehow it got messed up in moving from a Windows server to a Linux server.)

Well that makes sense though. Windows uses backslashes (\) in the pathnames while UNIX/LINUX use forward slashes (/) so what probably happened is a backslash didn't get converted to a forward slash during conversion.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »
Ironically, after the migration finished I was looking at paths with the tech and noticed that some had back-slashes, some forward-slashes. I don't know Linux, so I asked if the direction of the slashes matter--and he assured me that they did not. After tinkering for two days and a couple more calls to tech support, on going through the code, for the umpteenth time, I noticed that there was only one back-slash left--and that's the one I fixed.
Ron

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
Well that tech guy didn't know what he was talking about. Anybody who has had even the most minimal interaction with Windows and UNIX/LINUX knows about the slash issue
Frank Zappa

winknotes

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
Aah but then there are regular expressions which can use both ..........:)

I'm glad things are back up though.  I tried periodically Friday and kept getting a 404 error. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)