Author Topic: May, 2017: What instrument do you (have you) play?  (Read 1038 times)

Re: May, 2017: What instrument do you (have you) play?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »
Our friends daughter started learning the violin but gave it up after year. I looked at it and said I would have it. My father played 'cello and started giving me lessons as did his friend who played viola.

Later on my sister started learning the viola but gave it up after a year. So I got that as well.

Swapped between violin and viola over the years. Now sticking to viola.

Also once played tenor recorder in a school concert.

And learnt and played double bass in a day!

Gross exaggeration. I was playing second violin in fiddler on the roof, my father was on the bass. One performance my father was going to be late but would drop off his instrument beforehand. The conductor was fretting over not having a solid beat for the opening number.

So I spent the afternoon, unbeknownst to my father, learning plunk, plunk, plunk, tonic, subdominant, dominant so I could play the first number.
These aren't the chords you're looking for.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
Piano at six; I'm told I was picking out tunes by ear when I was three. I was lucky enough to grow up with a well-tuned piano, which contributed to so-called "pefrect pitch" which I call "pitch recognitoion," and which has gotten much less accurate past age 60. I'm told that is commmon.
Violin, age 11; majored in it in college because I was too chicken to do a degree that involved having to take a lot of math (later became an engineer when music failed as a career, joke's on me) the trying-to-make-a-living years, mandolin, classical and electric guitar, electric bass, viola. After adequate money from engineering, acted on my long love of the (French) horn, got good enough to get paid to play it, developed focal dystonia and realized I had also developed it on violin, it had not been recognized, and that contributed to my reaching a performance ceiling on the instrument. After success with horn, euphonium, then tuba, lastly oboe. I've played the brasses in various groups and still do. Stuck on reed making and first time I've felt stupid at anything. If / when I ever figure out how to make decent reeds, I'll stop toting the tuba around and revert to the much easier to carry oboe. I actually have to avoid letting people hear me play violin because once they hear that, they don't want me to play anything else even though I really do not enjoy it. So I play in bands, that usually (haha) do not have violins in them. But learning band literature, style, (and how to play those off beats) was, um, interesting in my late 40s. Everything I've had performed has been for winds, except for a string quintet way back in high school.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »
Public performances:
rock/pop/Americana/p&w: el guitar, keyboards, mandolin
jazz: guitar, piano, el. bass