Author Topic: Hello from Atlanta  (Read 855 times)

JWitt

• Loree AK oboe, Kreul Miraphone cor anglais
Hello from Atlanta
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
I'm a retired mechanical engineer and an adult beginner.  I started playing violin about 2001, taught by my wife and then several teachers. A cervical injury caused partial paralysis of my bow arm which put an end to the fiddle for several years.  I then, for some unknown reason, became interested in oboe and English horn and was fortunate to find an excellent teacher only three miles from my home in Seattle. I was 71 years old when I began the oboe/English horn concurrently.

I became interested in music theory, but am self taught with various how to-do-it books and questions to my teachers. I've most recently played in a community symphony (Atlanta Musician's Orchestra), and my stand partner has been a lot of help. As you might imagine, I'm strictly an amateur.

I'm composing on Musescore 2.0 on an old PC which I used for engineering design work.  I've written several small pieces and have a recent couple of them to be "finished".  They are a linked pair of duets, one for two oboes and one for oboe and English horn.

Great to be aboard,

John
Houston, Tranquility Base here.  The Eagle has landed.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Hello from Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum John.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
Welcome aboard. I look forward to hearing your work. You will find this to be a fine place to post your music and get helpful comments.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Periwink

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
Welcome John, great you found this awesome place!:)
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
Hi John. Welcome to the group. It's interesting how many former STEM people we have here (myself included). Looking forward to hearing some of your work.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual