Author Topic: Special Request  (Read 2291 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Special Request
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »
Attached is a work for an amateur string orchestra located in Costa Rica. They have 3 1st violins, 2 2nds, 1 viola, 2 cellos, and 1 bass. One violinist and one cellist is more advanced than the rest.

I just want folks to look it over and see if I made any errors before I submit it. I'm especially self-conscious about the Spanish, as I have had only one Spanish course in university a century or so ago.

(These are the originals. Revised posted below.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:27:40 AM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Special Request
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
I'm always a bit torn when there is a temporary solo part. When it returns to a full section (without solo) I prefer to see a few measures of the solo and the "gli altri" as separate staves, with the indication above the solo part "col tutti".

I'd also prefer not to see a bunch of empty measures before a solo entrance. Maybe you could apply a cut out staff style to the measures preceding the cello entrance, but that requires placing a bracket shape just before the barline, between the two staves.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:25:17 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
Okay. I'll do that Michel. This is the conductor's score. I'll print separate parts for the players, with a part for the solos combined with the sections where they rejoin the rest. Otherwise?
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »
you have this beautiful chromaticism sliding into a secondary dominant chord at measure 40, beat 3. but it normally would lead to something quite different... might I suggest going where it wants to? which would be a G major chord (in violin 2, viola cello and bass) with the 1st violins playing foreign notes to the harmony. then on beat 3 continue as you have.

I'd suggest beat 1 of measure 41:
violin 1, no change;
violin 2 half note B (maybe a tenuto articulation on that half note), followed by the staccato C's (as is from beat 3);
violas stay as is;
cello and bass play G on beat 1, then leap down to that A, and continue as is.

It's a lovely little melody, one I was unfamiliar with.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:37:52 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Lovely piece, Ron. In measures 16 and 32, how about a deceptive cadence to a B minor chord for a little more harmonic variety?

RJB54

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
Ron, this is a nice little piece. The only thing I would add to what Michel has already said is that shouldn't there be a gli altri indication at the conclusion of the solo passages? You indicate unis. on the ensemble line but do not have any indication on the solo line to tell the soloist to return to the ensemble line.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »
those indications are in my example posted above. I have "col tutti" for the solo once it returns to playing along with the rest of the gang.

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
those indications are in my example posted above. I have "col tutti" for the solo once it returns to playing along with the rest of the gang.

OK. Sorry Michel, I didn't open your file to see that.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:24:13 PM »
technically, "gli altri" goes at the beginning of the solo passage, to indicate "this staff is a solo, and that staff is the others (gli altri)"

RJB54

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
technically, "gli altri" goes at the beginning of the solo passage, to indicate "this staff is a solo, and that staff is the others (gli altri)"

OK, I had it backwards in my head. I don't do that sort of thing often so it wasn't near the top of my stack.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
Thanks for the helpful comments. I will incorporate them.

Michel: I am surprised you are unfamiliar with the tune as we learned this song in elementary school, presented to us as a French Canadian folk tune. I went to elementary school in Ontario, but Ann, schooled in Quebec, albeit West Island, knows it well from elementary school as well.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »
To be honest, we had almost no musical instruction in school when I was young. That might explain it.
My only real musical instruction, from the age of 5 or so, was from my formal lessons in piano/harmony/theory/history/ear-training.

RJB54

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »
Thanks for the helpful comments. I will incorporate them.

Michel: I am surprised you are unfamiliar with the tune as we learned this song in elementary school, presented to us as a French Canadian folk tune. I went to elementary school in Ontario, but Ann, schooled in Quebec, albeit West Island, knows it well from elementary school as well.

I envy you. Where I grew up in New Jersey there was zero music education.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
Music was a core subject when I went to school. We had to learn sight singing beginning in grade 1. By grade 4 we were singing two-part harmony. Grades 6, 7, 8 there were glee clubs, a boys' choir and a quartet, as well as several soloists entered into competition. In highschool (grade 9 and up) we always presented an operetta. When I switched schools, there was a regular orchestra, a band, and everyone not an instrumentalist was in the choral class. Sadly, this is no longer the case in our schools.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 07:50:09 PM »
Wow. For me if you wanted to do music you were on your own. You had obtain your own instruments, take (and pay for) your own lessons, etc. After all of that only then could join the band and do music.
Frank Zappa