Author Topic: January, 2017: What are your music plans for the coming year?  (Read 2264 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
January, 2017: What are your music plans for the coming year?
« on: January 01, 2017, 04:47:28 AM »
Me? I want to finish more pieces. Every year I write dozens of things from 8 measures to 60 or more that I abandon.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: January, 2017: What are your music plans for the coming year?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »
For myself ... the goals are performance related.

I was invited and I have started another orchestra as the  principal Oboist.

Also, I am studying with a new teacher in Manhattan .... and she has pointed out some really good strategies/techniques/approaches which I am attempting to master.

I'm not sure where my composing will lead me ... because I know I must do some serious studying here.   

Mark

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 07:46:12 AM »
I'm a composer and a writer. When I focus on composing, my writing takes a back seat. When I focus on writing, I compose less. I'm currently focusing on a book project I've undertaken, so I will likely composer less in 2017. Maybe, maybe not. I can never predict this ebb and flow.

winknotes

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »
I'd like to be more consistent with regard to working on my composing.  I typically have intense periods of inspiration followed by extended periods of nothing.  I'd like to at least keep some daily practice of writing something during those extended dry spells. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

MikeL

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »
A group performed my "valse triste" last year and I have promised the other three pieces of the suite for their April concert. Better pull my finger out. :-\

Also need to do some sorting and binning I think. Like Ron, need to finish a few half-finished.
These aren't the chords you're looking for.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
Sax quartet arrangements: None planned so far, but I might get a request from my quartet, or the Royal City SQ. I'll keep doing these, especially because I almost always get a chance to hear them actually played!
Sax quartet original work: I might try a traditional Christmas carol set in a jazz idiom. It would help me with chord substitutions and other compositional techniques.

Concert Band: My "411 Fanfare: The Eagle Reborn" will be performed 5/18/17! Just today I sent parts to the band director. I'm hoping he will help me revise the percussion parts, especially since he's a percussionist at heart. I could learn a lot from him. After this is done, I've got ideas and some sketches for 2 others. I hope to make significant progress on at least one of them in 2017.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
Good luck with the rebirth of the eagle. I hope he soars!
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »
I have a lot of composing to do, depending on which commissions come through with the funds: 10-12 minute work for large student string ensemble (the ensemble is large, not the students), and a string quartet (this is the most likely commission to actually see the light of day as well as have a professional performance - same group who played my clarinet quintet).

I also have the last movement of my violin concerto to write. The violinist performing the Adagio movement is very interested in performing the entire concerto as well.
And there's my piano quintet I'd like to rewrite, so if anything else falls through there's that.

Meanwhile, two premieres coming up: my 3rd symphony in May (in Seattle), and the Adagio movement of the violin concerto (no set date yet, most likely here in Joliette).

I know it isn't a "musical" plan, but my spouse and I bought a company in Québec city, and are already house-shopping there. So we're going to have to put this house on the market, sell it, and find something that fits our lifestyle and is within our price range in Québec by next autumn. I never saw myself as the owner of a company, or a boss of any sort, but here I am!

"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

Thanks!  Final version (well, 99% final anyway) posted in the "Completed by Junior" forum.

Re: Michel's move to Q-C: All the best with that. Moving can be a strange mix of excitement and dread. May the former outweigh the latter!
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
Re: Michel's move to Q-C: All the best with that. Moving can be a strange mix of excitement and dread. May the former outweigh the latter!

It is the most beautiful city I have ever visited. Can't wait to visit him and spouse there.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
thanks for the wishes on the move.
I IS a gorgeous city, very old, if I recall correctly it is the oldest city in North America.
It is definitely the oldest surviving "walled city" (ie: the fortifications from its origin are still present and mostly intact).

We're looking at houses on the south shore, so across the river from the actual old city, which means we COULD find something with an amazing view. We've seen a couple. Where we're looking is where the river suddenly opens up. It goes from hundreds of metres from shore to shore, to over a kilometre from south shore to north shore. And the entire south shore is up on an escarpment (no flood danger ;) )

The hardest thing to deal with is becoming a business owner. I've never seen myself as a CEO of a company.
One project I have in mind is to install a large industrial copy machine and do scores and covers for composers in the region.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 07:59:13 AM »
What's not to love? Standing in the old citadel near the plains of Abraham, overlooking the St Lawrence when I was 22, I felt I was in touch with Canada's history. We took a trip to Ville de Québec a few years later when I was taking a course at l'Université du Québec à Montréal; we walked virtually the entire length of Île d'Orléans on a beautiful summery evening to have a bon repas at an ancient inn. On graduating from McGill I was interviewed for a job teaching in Ste. Foy (a suburb of Québec). Instead I took a job at Kitigan Zibi, (a first nations reserve) at the other end of the province. Years later my wife and I and our two oldest boys (the third was still travelling inside Mom) stayed at a B&B in the old city--and had an absolutely marvellous time.

So, lots of good memories.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
in your 2nd picture, if you look across the water, further ahead, that's the area we're looking at for our house.
it's a suburb called Lévi.

EdSharpe

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 11:52:56 PM »
The only musical plans I have for 2017 is to record or to re-record existing works.  Last November I completed my second ballet which was a two year project, so nothing new currently planned.