Author Topic: 411 Fanfare - The Eagle Reborn: 10/8 updates  (Read 4062 times)

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
411 Fanfare - The Eagle Reborn: 10/8 updates
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:41:34 AM »
I figured I better put the updates in this new Forum section.  (Prior thread here: http://www.composeforums.com/index.php?topic=1754.0  )

Update Score and mp3 are here.

http://terencemartinsaxar.wixsite.com/saxarranger/works-in-progress

Score isn't cleaned up at all. All I did was make sure it fits on an 11x17 piece of paper.
I temporarily deleted the Percussion. All of it. Until I get a chance to work with the local band director, anything I do will just be a hack-job. By deleting it, at least it's not a distraction as I work on the rest.
I added a piccolo for the last 2 sections. Highest note is Ab (midi 104). Art: I know you generally limit the pic to G (midi 103) for grade 4 and 5, but I'm in Ab and "it's just one note higher."
I'm liking the shaping that reduced instrumentation created in A and B, and will probably do some more of that elsewhere. Suggestions welcome.

Current structure. (Changes from prior draft in parentheses)
A: Intro. (Instrumentation gradually cut as it approaches the end of the section to decrescendo into the next section)
B: Woodwind statement of theme (Starts as clarinet choir, adds saxes, finally full woodwinds)
C: "Construction", will be percussion-heavy once I figure out what I'm doing.  ::)
D: Brass statement of theme
E: Interlude, similar to intro
F: "Descant". (Totally new section. The melody here was already in the final fanfare section, but it was hard to hear. I introduce it here in the horns with light sax accompaniment. I thought a preliminary statement would get it in the listener's ear, and make it easier to hear in the fanfare section.)
G: "Construction", will also be percussion-heavy eventually (Shortened from prior version)
H: Fanfare section (Rebalanced: ASax added to the descant, inner voices reassigned a bit. Piccolo added)
I: Coda. (Piccolo continues to end)

Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: 411 Fanfare - The Eagle Reborn: 10/8 updates
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
Terence: The link isn't working for me.

AO

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
Pretty cool project you have going Terrance, I'm not sure why but listening to this makes me want to drink beer.  :)I can't really offer any technical advise but I find the tempo is a bit fast for my sluggish brain (must be the beer). I hope you can post a recording of this when the band plays it. your updated version of this sounds pretty good, good luck.
Cheers AO. 

tbmartin

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:30:56 AM »
No sure why the link won't work for you.  It works ok for me both at home and on my work computer.  PDF of Score and MP3 attached.

Pretty cool project you have going Terrance, I'm not sure why but listening to this makes me want to drink beer.  :)I can't really offer any technical advise but I find the tempo is a bit fast for my sluggish brain (must be the beer). I hope you can post a recording of this when the band plays it. your updated version of this sounds pretty good, good luck.
Cheers AO.

Thanks!  As for the beer drinking part, I hope that's just you. After all, it's intended for the local high school, and they're all under aged! ;-)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:40:28 AM by tbmartin »
Terence Martin

tbmartin

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »
I got a crash course in percussion writing (pun intended!) on Saturday. I hope to get my next iteration posted in a few weeks. Meanwhile, comments and suggestions on the non-percussion parts are still welcome.
Terence Martin

ben

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
I understand what you're trying to do with the bass line involving bass trombone, euphonium, and tuba in several spots (the lick that has the F flat at various points) ... most high school euphonium players should be able to get to that note, but it's likely to be fairly muddy and at the very least, it won't sing in the characteristic register of the instrument in most cases unless players are strong on alternate fingerings and have a fourth valve ... perhaps you could move it up a fifth or even an octave? It would still sit below the trombone II part even at an octave. I don't know; I've just played a lot of parts in that register over the years, and they are a bear to keep in tune

tbmartin

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »
Thanks for that euph feedback. Not being a brass player, anything like that is helpful. 

Just as an aside, before I extract and print parts I'll scan through and respelling those F-flats as E-naturals. Given the choice between:
(A) having the correct pitch played by a high school student, and
(B) having the music theory world happy that I correctly spelled a Db-minor chord as Db, Fb, Ab
... I'll pick (A) every time.
Terence Martin

ben

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »
Re chord spelling ... by high school, most players should understand enharmonic equivalents. That said, it might not be worth the fight if it's a recurring problem.

tbmartin

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 05:55:39 AM »
Ben,

As a Euph player, you might be able to help me here:  I once found in a book a brief description of various ranges for instrument. It went beyond just what notes were playable for beginners through experts, but gave a description of the tone in that range. For example, it would describe an instrument as being "Dark and unfocused" in from X to Y, "bright and heroic" from Y to Z, and "thin and forced" above Z. Some instruments were described in 5 different sub-ranges. For instruments I'm less familiar with, this chart has been helpful to keep instruments in their sweet spot.

Unfortunately, they didn't include the Euph, so all I'm left with is the range of notes that are playable, and no info on the Euph's sweet-spot.  Can you describe where that sweet spot is? Feel free to break the range into as many sub-ranges as you think appropriate.  (Knowing that any "dividing line" you give is very blurry and others might put the line somewhere else.)
Terence Martin

ben

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »
Sure. I would say that for a decent high school player, that range would be as follows:

Pedal B-flat (two octaves and a major second below middle C) to the E-flat above it: extremely dark and unfocused unless the instrument has a fourth valve and the player has a remarkable embouchure control.

The next E to the F# up a major second from there (sorry, it's been a while since I've worked with pitch class): relatively fuzzy and unfocused in most cases -- fine for sustained notes, but I wouldn't put too many licks in there.

The G to the B-flat up a minor third from there: relatively playable, but requires good embouchure control when it's not just a sustained note. Not likely to sing a lot.

B-flat to the F up a perfect fifth: perfectly acceptable, but not always likely to bring out the warm, characteristic tone in a lyrical passage, at least not in a way that can "soar" over the ensemble as euphonium can do.

F to F (the one directly below middle C to above it): this is generally your sweet spot where you can write a part that will sing nicely with the characteristic tone. A good example of a part like this would be the euphonium part in Grainger's Irish Tune (later known as Danny Boy), if you can get your hands on that.

F to B-flat above middle C: you can write it, but not every player can hit it, and in many cases if they do, it will sound strained and/or out of tune. For reference, as a college non-music performance major but someone who plays in ensembles with music majors and takes applied lessons, on a good day, I'll get all the way up to the B-flat -- the G and the A are generally fine.

Anything above B-flat: unless you have a professional or a very talented student, I wouldn't try it. There's a senior music ed major here whose major instrument is euphonium, and he gets up maybe to the E-flat an octave and a minor third above middle C, and my teacher can get up maybe a major third above that. It's not likely practical to write that for an ensemble though.

I hope this helps.

Ben

tbmartin

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 08:41:02 AM »
Terence Martin

ben

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:44:50 AM »
My pleasure. Maybe it would be good to have a section of the forum with information like this.

Regardless, what book do you have with this info? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 04:01:49 PM »
My pleasure. Maybe it would be good to have a section of the forum with information like this.

There already is such a section of the forum. It's called "Orchestration." Specific to Bands, there's also "Technique and Bandestration."
Ron
Rules? What rules?

ben

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 04:20:20 PM »
Thanks, Ron. I'm aware of both of those sections; I meant a thread specific to specific ranges of various instruments ... I should have clarified. I know some of that information is already in the orchestration section, which is a handy reference.

tbmartin

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 07:05:04 PM »
I can't remember where I found the info, but I put it into the two attached files.
Terence Martin