Author Topic: Any tips for various instruments  (Read 3292 times)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: Any tips for various instruments
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:03:30 AM »
From what I've read, that is typical for British Brass Bands.

I read somewhere that there is a historical basis for most brass band instruments reading treble clef, but I don't recall where I read it. It might be like baritone/euphonium treble clef parts, where the player began on trumpet, even though baritone treble clef parts are usually included in a set of parts but there is no staff for them in the score.

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »

I havenít had the time to comment much lately. Too much to do.
But I thought Iíd jump in with a little comment.

I think Arthurís comments say it all. Thereís much to learn there.
Thatís the beauty of this forum. There are always new things to learn just by reading comments.

In addition to that I would recommend score reading when listening to a piece of music in the grade level and ensemble type that you are writing for. Then you can see how others are doing things and gain experience from that.

I see that brass bands are mentioned. I just love the sound of brass bands. Thatís probably why I play the bassoon???? ;D

All instruments in a brass band are written in treble clef except bass trombone.
The tuba section consists of both Eb tuba and Bb tuba.

Iíve put in a link to a YouTube recording of the last 3+ minutes of a peace by Peter Graham and the Black Dyke Band. It shows all the instruments and the sound is grate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgaRYlTLAQ

And Ben, since you are a Euph player. Listen to brass bands for rather nice Euph playing.

And this link to Harlequin by Philip Sparke. (Wind Ensamble)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIDVqtnnsvA

Itís a matter of taste but I love it.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

ben

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »
Harlequin is fantastic. I am in college, and the senior music major whose instrument is euphonium is playing that in his senior recital in a couple weeks ... I got to be on his "listening committee" the other day, and he nailed it. He plays circles around me, but he's so great to listen to.