Author Topic: Can't upload mp3 file  (Read 1536 times)

AO

Can't upload mp3 file
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
Having lots of problems getting around this forum.  Tried several times to upload an mp3 file, it seems like it tries to connect but just comes back as a blank post folder.  Also,the general topic thread has no"new post" button.  I want to apologize in advance if my post appears a dozen times, and if this post doesn't work, well I guess I'll never get to meet anyone here, ow well.  ???

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Can't upload mp3 file
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:09:57 PM »
Members cannot add a new category under a general area like "General Topic." Only the administration can do that. Members can post new topics under specific subject areas, as you have done here.

As for the .mp3 file, I have no idea why it will not upload. It will take quite a while to complete, especially if it is a large file. Where, exactly are you trying to upload this .mp3?  It can only be done within a post that has a title and text, by selecting the "Attachments and other options" at the bottom of the post, then navigating to your file.

Please go to one of the "Music By Members" categories and select one of the four subject areas. Click the "New Topic" Button and fill in the title and add some text. Below the text box is a "Attachments and other options" button. Click it, navigate to your file to add it. Then when you click "post" at the bottom of the screen, your file should upload (again, it could take some time).
Ron
Rules? What rules?

AO

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:57:27 PM »
Thanks Ron,

I have gone through that procedure in the “completed Junior “ section,  There are two files that add up to less than 10 mb, After I press the post button I see the file is connecting but soon that file I created disappears and I’m prompted to make another.  Everything else works pretty good, I suppose I could still enjoy this site without sharing any of my own music, seems like theres lots of good stuff here.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
I don't see any new posts in the "Completed Junior" section. They should have remained even if your uploads failed. This is very frustrating for me as this is the first time in 10 years that someone has reported they can't upload a file. If there is a problem with the forum I need to know about it so it can be addressed--but I see nothing in the forum error logs that is connected with anything related to your account.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

AO

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 04:43:43 AM »
It's probably something on my end then, perhaps it's due to upgrading my OS lately, I'll give one more try with another browser, maybe just try one file, we'll see what happens.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 06:06:24 AM »
You might also try signing up for a free account at box.com or dropbox.com (I use dropbox.com), creating a "public" folder, and placing the mp3 there. In Dropbox, after placing the file in the "public" folder, right-clicking the file lets you copy the public link, which you can place here in your message.

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
You might also try signing up for a free account at box.com or dropbox.com (I use dropbox.com), creating a "public" folder, and placing the mp3 there. In Dropbox, after placing the file in the "public" folder, right-clicking the file lets you copy the public link, which you can place here in your message.

I do this for my post using box.com and it works fine.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

saltamontes

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
Are there storage limits for using free dropbox.com or box.com?  I'm looking for a host for my numerous Finale files.
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
I use box.com and so far I've not had any problems either with file size or number of files.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

saltamontes

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »
Thanks RJB54.  I'll give it a go.
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes