Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1877 times)

ben

Hello
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:20:39 AM »
I'm a college student who is definitely an "amateur" arranger/composer. I have played trombone/baritone in ensembles over the past 10 years through school including concert band, marching band, jazz band, symphonic orchestra, and pit orchestra, and at college, so far I have participated in marching band and wind ensemble. I took a music theory class in high school that exposed me to many of the basics (probably corresponded to Theory I/II at the college level if that gives any context). On the compositional/arrangement side, I have written little motives for marching band stand music, and more to the point, I have arranged several pieces for various youth ensembles at church -- this is why some of the pieces have strange instrumentations ... they're arranged for the occasion based on who would show up. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:59:33 AM by ben »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 07:28:52 AM »
Welcome--and don't be too shy to ask questions.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »
Welcome, Ben!

I also have very modest beginnings. (And to be honest, my current efforts still qualify for the "modest" title.)  I took one high school music theory class, and in college I took "Composing for non-music majors", which was a COMPLETE waste of time. My day job is in the insurance industry, so this is purely a hobby. Everything I've learned since then has been self-study, trial and error, and from fellow forum members.

Echoing Ron: Don't be shy! Ask lots of questions. Download the work of other forum members and listen with the score on the screen. Even if you don't "understand" the music (a common occurrence for me), you can learn by asking questions like "Why did you do _______?" or by making comments such as "I really like the section between measure X and Y" or even that you DIDN'T like a certain section. Not only do you learn from that, the composer who is receiving your comment or question is getting valuable feedback.

Terry
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Periwink

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:15:33 AM »
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum!:)
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »
Welcome to the group. I look forward to your contributions.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
Welcome.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

ben

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 04:14:55 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your work and learning in the process.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 07:04:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ben. My wife and I lived in Harrisburg for 27+ years.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »
From Lancaster and going to college at Gettysburg!

Small world! We moved to Florida in 2009. Love it here, but PA is still "home."

sandalwood

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 06:04:24 AM »
Welcome Ben :)

Reha

saltamontes

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 09:39:19 PM »
Hola Ben, and welcome to this forum.  I send you greetings from the tropical Panamanian Highlands. 
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

ben

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 08:01:03 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Much to learn!