Author Topic: September 2016: Where do we go from here?  (Read 4729 times)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: September 2016: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 06:04:04 AM »
Well-said, Michel. More members would ease most of these concerns.

And when someone comments on your work, click an "applaud" for that person (just below the "karma" listing). I do that routinely.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:07:19 AM by gogreen »

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
I spent an immense amount of time putting together some tutorials on this forum a while back. Time I could have spent on other things, but I devoted it to this forum. I don't regret doing it at all.

But I feel a bit like I did it for nothing.

Guilty as charged. I have read, and benefitted from most, if not all, of the guides and tutorials (some of them multiple times), and have never commented on those threads. I'm not sure why, perhaps because I didn't think of them as active ongoing threads.

So let me now say thank you, Michel, for the time and effort you have put into these very valuable resources at the expense of your own work. I am sure I am not the only member or lurker that feels this way. Hopefully a few others will speak up as well, since I know many will have gained new skills and understanding as a result of your sharing your knowledge and experience, as have I, and would not want you to feel that your work has been in vain. It hasn't!

Thank you Michel!

Jamie

PS Like Art, I always hit 'Applaud' when someone comments on my work, and would highly recommend this as standard practice for all members...
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »
PS Like Art, I always hit 'Applaud' when someone comments on my work, and would highly recommend this as standard practice for all members...

Not only when someone comments on your work, but whenever someone makes a comment that you find helpful or that contributes in some way.

saltamontes

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »
Honestly, I didn't know about that applaud feature.  Some other forums have a "like" function and I did look for that.  Anyway, in the future I will visit frequently and will view all new posts/comments.  8)

Saltamontes
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2016, 07:17:40 AM »
Hi guys,

Since I've been almost entirely absent for awhile, this seemed like a good place to jump back in.

The overall trend of declining participation is likely due to Facebook. I think forums of many types all over the internet suffer from this, though some subjects are more vulnerable than others.

I can tell you that my absence has nothing at all to do with whatever trend may be taking place, and has been of a more personal nature. I do regret being away, and I'll slowly be getting more active over the coming weeks.

I do have an opinion regarding the suggestions regarding forced participation and the culling of inactive members. I think anything along these lines is a mistake, and seems entirely counter to the goal of getting more members. Even for cases of protracted inactivity, I don't see the reason for removing a membership. Whatever may have caused them to go away, they might some day decide to come back. If their account has been removed, they will go elsewhere. Even if that describes only one person among dozens who disappear, shouldn't we want that one person back? I believe we should.

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »
You make excellent points, Jamie. My main concern with inactive accounts is security. We regularly come under attack from spambots--and inactive accounts is a classic way hackers break into systems. But, I am always willing to listen and to be persuaded. :)
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
Another reason I don't like the idea is that it may feel like too much pressure for potential members. "More flies with honey..."